Thursday, April 10, 2008

Newsy News

April 2008

Monday Monday Monday. How were the weekends out there? We had a rainy Saturday around here, but we adventured anyway (I drove a scooter!), and then Sunday was beautiful and sunny and lovely and long.

I realized the other day that I am in serious danger of being this kind of garden dork:

Friend: “Hey, how are you?”
Me: “The peas are up!”
Friend: “Umm, neat, er, so what did you do this weekend?”
Me: “I looked at my peas! Hey, and all the greens and beans we planted are up too!”

So, umm, rather than telling you how excited I am that the garden is taking off all over again, I’ll just not and share some weekend pictures.


Perennial Batchelor Button – the honeybees from down the street love this one.


The backyard is a dandelion carpet.


Beet risotto from the fall beets that are still out there in the garden.





Curtains. F-ing curtains. The truth is that I suck at sewing. I am inclined to be a perfectionist sometimes, but I know just about enough about sewing to turn my sewing machine on. Bad combo. I do a lot of cursing and sighing. A lot. Every time I make something, I think, “That’s it! I’m never making ____ ever again!” But then B. will paint the bedroom thus necessitating the removal of the ancient and dust encrusted plastic blinds, and I will spend a few weeks confirming that all prefab curtains are ugly and then I will hunt for fabric and then the fabric will come and sit there staring at me threateningly and then finally, weeks and weeks later I will sit my butt down at the sewing machine and proceed to spit nails. Anyway, these are two sided curtains, in an attempt to block the streetlight outside and likewise spiff up the street view. Now that it’s all said and done, I am pretty happy with them.





Lastly, here are photos of what the painted lady beans are doing now. They are the pretty beans in my hands below. I know I am a sappy geek, but I think it’s the neatest thing ever that one can hold a big old hard bean in your hand one day, and a week and a half later have a bean plant in your garden.

Oh, wait, really the last thing: I made this banana cake this weekend, without the caramel topping and with chopped ginger and chocolate and I will never make banana bread again! The cake was so tasty and moist and light and it doesn’t have any more butter in it than most banana bread recipes (ok, maybe a little more, but butter is your friend, seriously).

That’s it. Really this time. Be well out there.

No comments: