Monday, June 16, 2008

Cherry of a Time


Cucumber blossom.

Oh wow. What can I say here that I haven't already said? Not much. Just a lot of love and excitement over here. Ready to get to Maine, ready to see my family and the people I love, ready to get married, ready to vacation along lakes and in canoes and around full tables and under new stars. And ready to have the part of my brain back that has been thinking about this for months now. It's a wee bit tired and I think it's causing me to be especially lousy at typing and trail off in the middle of sentences. When I was a kid I used to give my mum the hardest time about doing that, and mum, are you out there? I get it now.


In an attempt to keep from going totally mad over the weekend, we wrangled our ladder into our tiny car and set off to scavenge cherries off of trees planted on public land. It was ridiculously fun. Picking cherries is already fun. But picking them for free up on a ladder in back of a parking lot somewhere is just especially fun and sneaky. We picked 10 pounds of cherries in no time (which, I know because we now own this, another awesome wedding gift that I freakin' love and so far have used way more than I ever thought, including at times for a postage scale, bonus!). We picked several different kinds; some sweeter like a bing and some tart like a pie cherry. I wish I knew what they all were. This whole Bing or Ranier cherry duopoly is just not cool, I know there is more to life as a cherry eater than that. All of the kinds we picked were fairly small. Upshot being: we pitted cherries for a damn eternity on Sunday morning. Holy pits. My left thumb is sore. By the time we were finished our entire kitchen looked like this:


Cherry juice everywhere! But we pitted them all and lived to tell the tale, and now there will be cherry pie in the dead of winter, what a treat. Anyone have any favorite cherry recipes?? Speak now.

Anyhoo folks. I am going to peer into the depths of this blogger thingy and see if I can't post some recipes while I am gone. Grow well, eat well, see you on the flip side.

5 comments:

leya said...

I'll be thinking of you. Here's to you having one lovely adventure after another. Can't wait to hear the details once you return. Oh, and good grief those cherries look amazing. xo, leya

queenbeehoney said...

Yes, honey, I'm out here. Your biggest fan is always out here. And having a big hearty laugh; I remember how annoyed you used to get with me (I can still see your expression) and I honestly tried not to do it. You were pretty good about finishing them for me.

But I look back now in light of my 53-year-old stamina (or lack thereof), and wonder how I ever got the first half of the sentence out in those days, let alone the last. I was carrying more than a full load every semester for four long years, working, raising you, plus the everyday work of house and lawn and car and meals..... Thank all the stars in the universe for Brother Patrick, aka, Uncle Gonzo, our go-to when the crises hit.

I often want to tell you to slow up a bit, but then I remember my 30's and realize that it would be like telling the wind not to blow.

lhalleck said...

I'm sooooo jealous. I absolutely love cherries. But Texas is not exactly cherry country. No fresh cherries here I'm afraid. I pulled a 3-year tour of duty (grad school) up in Michigan. I made myself sick on cherries...it was wonderful!

cake said...

what fun. great idea! we snagged a few off our neighbor's tree, before the birds got'em.

whenever cherries come into season, i like to make this
apricot cherry country tart from a recipe that i found many years ago in bon appetit (probably ripped from a copy in a dentist office).

you make a pie crust and chill for an hour. roll it and lay it out on a baking sheet lined with parchment. sprinkle the crust with a mixture of 2T flour, and 2T sugar. then lay down the halved apricots(cut side down, close together) leaving an inch and a half border of crust, then top with the cherries. sprinkle 4T of sugar on top of the fruit, and fold up the sides of the crust, like a galette or rustic tart. brush the crust with melted butter. bake it at 400 degrees F, on parchment for about an hour, until the crust is golden, and fruit is tender.

i have used peaches, when apricots weren't available, or it would be great with all cherries too.

Heather said...

Mmmm, that apricot cherry dessert sounds fabulous. Will try it when apricots come on...!