Friday, June 13, 2008

Tomato Kids

Oh people. I am bursting at the seams with excitement over here. Today is my last day at the library, then Monday at my other job, then points north for us. Crazy.


We broke down and bought some wire to make tomato cages with. Mean beefy thick concrete reinforcement wire that left B covered in orange rust after he wrangled them into cages. But now our tomatoes are duly supported unless they top five feet, in which case they can just head back down. All three have baby tomatoes cooking up in there, and so far I have been diligent about 1) watering at the base infrequently but deeply 2) spraying weekly with a worm casting and aspirin tea and 3) spraying weekly with Serenade. I must say that they look pretty durn strapping, and I for once in my life gave each plant plenty of room. It is kind of hard to know that I will be away from the garden and the chickens for three weeks – so much will happen then! We lined up a rockin’ house sitter who is especially thrilled to hang with the chickens though, so I know it will be fine.

Ok. Have good weekends out there.

2 comments:

avocado kid said...

Heather, I love your blog and can't wait to finally meet you.

I'll come to your wedding if you come to mine! ;-)

-Josh

Heather said...

Woah! Hey! Secret blog lurkers! I thought I was related to all the people who read this thing?! Fun. Can't wait to meet you both...!