Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rain and Races


Well hello there blueberry!!!

Holy sudden hotness, it has been out-of-the-gates-in-a-hurry hot around here. Early this week we were in the mid-nineties. What the heck is up with that?? Man. The chickens were not psyched about it, and the garden, despite a good long slow watering there in the middle, was lying all over the place by midday every day. Droop, droopy, droopiest. It’s also caused my basil to bolt, thank you very much. This has not been a great basil season around here. I had to plant the seeds twice, and the second time we did get some germination but now they are just these tiny little sprouts that refuse to grow. And then the starts I put in have bolted. Yeesh. Everything else is pretty happy though, so I will just have to resign myself to less than 5 gallons of pesto. Anyway, the heat broke with a hell of a storm yesterday. I love love love a summer storm. The best part was that our rain barrels were full in no time. In fact, upon coming home and discovering them full while it was still raining, I began filling buckets with water and watering the blueberries and fruit trees. My neighbor down the street was like, “what the heck, it’s raining and you’re watering?” And I was like, “No time to talk! Rain barrels full!” I am the crazy lady, oh yes I am.


Broccoli. I love getting to eat the broccoli, but in truth I grow these for the greens...

So, as you guys probably already know, we live in North Carolina. I have lived here for over two years now, after a long and lovely time out west, mostly in San Francisco. I picked North Carolina for the mountains (this West Virginia girl finds flat places to be itchy) and because there were lots of other folks here interested in playing fiddles and banjos and things. And because I got a job here. I came to North Carolina once for fun, twice for job interviews, and once to find an apartment, and then all of a sudden I lived here. Somewhere probably in between the interview and the apartment hunting, I thought to myself, “I guess I should look up my elected officials” and proceeded to squeak out loud when I realized that Elizabeth Dole was now one of my duly elected Senators. After hanging around in San Francisco and Portland, I was a little shocked to say the least. North Carolina is an interesting place. We have a Democrat for a Governor. Both of our Senators are Republican, and I think I’m correct in saying we have not gone blue in a presidential election in 32 years. Western North Carolina recently elected a Democratic Representative of sorts after a very long tenure under a Republican. Hillary won big here in Western North Carolina (all counties in WNC except the one I live in), although Obama took the state handily the results here in the mountains illustrated more of his “Appalachian Troubles” in action (the west side of this state is mountainous, the larger eastern side gets divided into the Piedmont and the Coast). Suffice to say that November should be interesting around here. I’m of course interested in the big prize, but I’m also really interested in this race – Dole has her first serious competition in years, and Hagen is right behind Dole in polls despite dealing with a serious lack of name recognition when she first started campaigning. Anyway. If you know anyone in North Carolina, make sure they know that this race is in play.

3 comments:

Katie said...

we had very bad luck with our basil this year too. I went from freezing to 90s damn near overnight, and it all bolted. My crazy husband is still eating it in pesto (yuck).

Outer Banks Mom said...

I'm in NC and I feel your pain. ;) I always love reading your recipes and your pics are great. Have a good one!

dig this chick said...

That blueberry is gorgeous! We had SNOW and RAIN and freezing temps. This weather leaves a girl not knowing what the fuh is happening.