Thursday, July 17, 2008

Berrys and Beans

Oh my goodness. Friday already. Busy week around here, lots of working for B and me. We are slowly getting grounded over here; a few good mornings in the garden, some fine time with our chickens (umm, having a cocktail while sitting out with the girls is pretty much the best), playing some great tunes until one of us finally makes us Go To Bed. Summertime. I have started riding my bike to work again, which is so great. I end up with more energy when I need it and more tired when I need it, if that makes any sense. Well, that's not totally true - I have to get up earlier to ride my bike and I still hate that part. It's weird; I almost never sleep in past 9, so it's not like I am someone who loves to sleep in, but getting up earlier than 8 is always a chore.


ANYWAY. So. A lot of the ladies out there who write the cooking blogs that I love have at different points gotten really excited about Rancho Gordo beans. Which is easy to do, so don't click that link unless you're ready to be seduced by an array of gorgeous heirloom beans of all colors and shapes. In Asheville even the big fancy healthy stores really do not have a lot of options outside of the kidney-black-pinto bean world. Booooooooring. So. Although I know that shipping beans around the country is not awesome, I could not help myself any longer and I ordered a whole heck of a bunch of beans. They are so lovely. These beans are not the cheapest beans you will ever meet, but honestly beans go so far that I still consider them a pretty frugal alternative to meat and fish and such. Word on the street is that because these beans are fresher they are much easier to cook. We have some Vallarta beans soaking for dinner right now and I will report back. Yum.


In other exciting news: berry picking. A friend from work kicked down a picking spot, which is when you really know you are friends imo, and yesterday we picked our little fingers sore. The invitation was for raspberry picking, but it turned out that these are wineberries. Which is still a berry but not nearly the berry that a raspberry is so I was a tiny bit disappointed. I think they will end up as a colorful addition to crisps and cobblers this fall and winter. They sure are lovely to look at though, and I love nothing more than tucking things into the freezer for later.

6 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

WHAT a great color those berries are! Wow. Had lunch with Diane yesterday, and Rachel and Witt are coming to Pburg this weekend ~ first time for Witt! And we loaded Diane's photos into the computer last night. You're gonna LOVE them, they are so great. She is sending you a disc with them all. Now I am lusting big time over a really decent digital camera. Oh well, plenty of debt reduction ahead of that purchase!

cake said...

i have been wondering what those beautiful berries are that i have been seeing around.

we have been crazy with berry and cherry picking around here too, and then dealing with the abundance. tons of fun.

rachel said...

oh, i love those beans! we use them at work. the packaging is dang cute too.

my favorite so far was called...um.. something like "goat eyes" or maybe "goat's head". HELLA (that's oakland speak) yummy!

and beans are magical, or musical, can't remember which...

TIM said...

I love readin yr blog, heater...

I've had pretty good luck lately with the crab trap off the condo dock on the Wilmington River - this week I cooked up crab fried rice/quinoa with flax seed, almonds, sesame and sunflower seeds and a touch of roasted sesame oil to finish... yum...

BTW: Gentle reminder - you "promised" to send out your recipes for those wonderful dishes served at the wedding party !!?
You post 'em, I'll cook 'em..

Wendy said...

You weren't kidding about the beauty of those beans, were you?

But, at almost 5 times the price of the organic beans I normally buy, they're more than just not cheap. (says the person who just posted about drooling over a $100 Italian tank top) OK, maybe I'll have to try them.

And their recipe section looks fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.

dig this chick said...

Thanks for the heads up on the beans sister. I must admit that even though I pride myself in being a foodie, I have never done much exploring of the beans. Canned black and pinto are where we hover.

Will have to give some others a try.