Friday, July 25, 2008

Squashed Finger and Squash Cake


Friday, Friday, Friday! Been a pretty crazy week here, what with both of my old jobs piling on the “Oh, wait, before you go can you…?” requests and general “Oh shit, this new job is no joke” feelings and my husband (gulp, woah, ohmigawd, it still sends me over the moon to type that) smooshing the bejeezus out of one of his fingers at work on Monday. We are talking major smooshage; trip to Urgent Care and the whole nine, but fortunately no broken bones just general blood and gore. Luckily it was the very best finger to bash the hell out of if you are a musician, I will never stop being grateful for small gifts such as this.


Anyway, he’s been knocking around the house this week trying to keep from going absolutely mad, and yesterday I came home to find some half dozen jars of delicious plum jam, made from plums picked from a tree up the street. We have been stopping to check on these plums for a few weeks now, but after reading that plums are best picked just shy of perfectly ripe and after seeing someone else looking suspiciously laden walking away from the tree, B walked up the street and knocked out some major one-handed picking and some even more impressive one-handed jam making. It didn’t set completely, so it’s perfect for putting in yogurt or spreading on waffles or… And the peels did this crazy thing where the pieces of it almost feel candied in texture. Yum, just plums and sugar.

What else? I made my annual Chocolate Zucchini Cake. I think I posted this last year but it was one of the recipes that didn’t make the move over here so I am going to post it again. We didn’t (and probably won’t ever) plant any summer squash and yet still, our countertop has a huge pile of zucchini and crookneck and sunray squash. Just about when I get tired of all the different savory ways to knock out a squash, I remember this cake. Simple, rich, and super moist. We played our first post-injury tunes last night while it almost cooled and then ate slices topped with melting scoops of our favorite mint chip ice cream. Ice cream on still warm desserts is the bomb. The crooknecks and sunrays are going to go in here tonight or tomorrow.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee or just fine ground coffee/espresso
3 eggs, room temperature
2 cups zucchini, unpeeled, grated
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375°F). Grease a 3 quart bunt pan or something close in terms of shape and size.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Beat or mix sugar and butter until fluffy, then add vanilla and coffee. Add an egg, then another egg, then the third egg.

Add grated zucchini and chocolate chips, mix until incorporated. Then add dry ingredients a cup at a time. This is a thick batter.

Pour (or wrestle) batter into your pan, bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. This cake has some serious moisture insurance, what with all that zucchini, so don’t worry about drying it out. Let cool and the whack the pan onto a plate or a rack or something – do it like you mean it!

7 comments:

Renee said...

My zukes are just beginning to flower and fruit, so I will try this out in a couple weeks when I am overwhelmed with squash!

Gardening Fool said...

Hi! Would it be okay for me to add a link of your blog to mine?

Thank you!

BTW: Hope your hubby is feeling better! ☺☺☺

Gardening Fool said...

Forgot to tell you my blog's name!

Here it goes:

gardeningfool.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Why sure...thanks for stopping by!

Ms. Ventura said...

heather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call me-- I'd love to talk to you. So much to catch up on.

love you.
Marcia
206.941.4195

Kate said...

I picked some seriously large zukes the other day and followed this recipe. Really, really delicious. A new household staple (as are monster squash). Kudos!

Heather said...

Ooh, Kate, I am so glad you liked it!