Thursday, July 3, 2008

Summer Galettes

Hey out there! I am still not home, I think I am somewhere in Nova Scotia right now. Sorry for the lack of photos with all of these recipes! I'll be back with pictures soon...

As much as I love a pie, I really have a soft spot for the galette. They just have these easy peasy slightly unassuming if not downright sloppy look to them that belies how fantastic they are. Plus, if you are totally ungifted at rolling things out into anything resembling a circle it really doesn’t matter one bit ‘cause you just fold it all together and call it a day. The crust recipe I used came from a cookbook written the mother of an old acquaintance and you can peek at the book here. I should state here for the record that I am a recent convert to the food processor crust, and like many other kinds of new converts I am ridiculously enthusiastic about my newfound religion. My Granny (Hi Gran! Love you!) took great pains to teach me to make a proper pie crust in a good old regular bowl with a fork and a butter knife, but honestly I have always just sucked at it. In the face of such failures I turned to “cheater” pie crusts – gingersnap pie crusts, polenta pie crusts, zucchini pie crusts, etc. But finally last year I threw it all the ingredients for a regular pie crust into the food processor and promptly rolled out a crust that knocked my own socks off. Suffice to say that if you’ve ever sobbed or sniffled or cursed over a pile of butter bits and flour give your old food processor a whirl. Anyway, here’s the recipe for the savory galette, the crust again from Annie and Margrit and the filling an adaptation from the same.

Dough:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup cold water

Combine flour and salt. Cut butter into 1 inch pieces, add to flour, pulse (or whatever you talented fork wielding folks do) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water, pulse to mix. Gather dough, wrap in plastic, press into disk, refrigerate for no less than 1 hour and no more than 3 days. After rolling dough out, refrigerate again for 30 minutes before assembling galettes and baking. Note that this is a “hearty” crust; not overly rich and not intended for a sweet galette.

Insides

2 tablespoons butter
3 medium leeks, slivered (use as much as you can, including the pale green insides up top)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup grated gruyere
3 medium tomatoes, sliced thin

1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. For topping, melt butter in a pan over high heat. Add leeks, salt, pepper, mix. Add water, turn heat to medium and simmer until leeks are soft and liquid evaporated. Spread leeks over chilled dough, sprinkle cheese, arrange tomato slices in an artistic fashion. Fold edges over helter-skelter or into a perfect circle, whatever floats your boat. Brush crust lightly with egg mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden and flaky. Eat it just as soon as it won’t burn your tongue.

3 comments:

dig this chick said...

I don't even know what a galette is. hmm. I like the sounds of it. And I will have to try this food processor pie crust although bug hates the food processor with a passion so I will have to wait to make the pie crust when she is on a walk with her papa or something.

Happy wedding!

queenbeehoney said...

You silly girl! How in the world are you managing to do this from Nova Scotia? We are thinking of you every single day and wondering how you are taking to going from 100 miles an hour to sitting in the park. Hope you finally got some sleep. yer lovin mom

cake said...

I just discovered galettes, and, recently blogged about savory pastries!this one looks yummy.