Sunday, August 3, 2008

Introducing...


Guess what's in that envelope above? A brand new social security card bearing my shiny new married up name. How crazy is that??? I think it's pretty crazy. Honestly, I never thought I'd change my name. I love my last name and I love my family and we can be rather rah-rah about being us, which when you are as loner as we all are is very comforting. But then I met B and we fell in love and all of a sudden I really wanted to share a family name with this person and now I do. Crazy. For those in the know, I ditched my spicy middle name (old friends have long joked to me that trying to google me brought up a combination of things about a very famous underwear model and cinnamon laden recipes by a certain very wealthy homemaking guru named Martha) and my old last name is now my middle name. So far I am just being very pushy about saying all three names, which I am doing a lot because I have met 4000 new people at my new job and now I must go meet 3000 more so I'm off.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Congrats! I too loved my old name, but I came to love my married name more. I also ditched my original middle name (after asking my mom if she was attached to it, and she replied, "What is your middle name again?"), so I am first last last. No hyphen, or double name. Just remembrance of my former life.

Enjoy the identity crisis while it lasts!

dig this chick said...

dying to know what your middle name was...

I kept my name but often think about changing my last for the very reasons you identify: Love my man, love my kid and it'd be cool to all have the same name.

But then I get all freaky about it cause it's been my name for three decades. Anyway. Maybe I'll change it.