Friday, October 3, 2008

Egg Egger Eggest


Well folks, this post was coming around sooner or later: the first egg!!!! A beautiful light brown egg, just sitting there in the sunshine. I hooted and hollered and even the neighbors got in on the act. The egg, as you might have already guessed, was not laid in the nesting box. Which seems perfectly understandable to me…there you are, going about being the chicken you’ve always been, hunting and pecking for bugs and greens and scratch and then all of a sudden here comes an egg. Talk about a surprise. Anyway, I put a decoy egg in one of the nesting boxes to hopefully raise the gentle suggestion of egg laying in the coop. We’ll see.

I wish I could know which one of our girls laid it…I asked, but they weren’t talking.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Congrats! Ah, the thrill of that first egg. My first egg had me running through the house screaming with excitement, and tracking in mud everywhere. Still waiting on Maude to start laying - she's six months old now!

Alan said...

I love watching the excitement of new chicken owners. Memories! Helps me keep going with my 50 odd girls when it's not so fun any more. Congratulations!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

great fun. congratulations.

queenbeehoney said...

Oh my gosh! Did you and Ben have a ceremonial egg dish for dinner last night with the freshest egg you've ever eaten? It's so so cute! Are those curtains behind you in the background of this photo?

cake said...

my god! that's one beautiful egg.

Alan said...

Wow, that thing is huge for a pullet egg! Congrats! :-)

dig this chick said...

yay! that's fabulous.