Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fry 'Em Up


Oh me oh my. Every once in a while on Tuesday mornings B and I get a mini weekend kind of thing where we can sleep in a little and have a late breakfast. Today was one such morning, and after collecting four more eggs over the weekend we plotted to make our first farm fresh fried egg breakfast.


What a simple pleasure, to crack open eggs gathered in our back yard from hens who have only eaten organic grains and legumes and garden fresh greens and bugs. The yolks were the deepest orange yellow and far less runny than store-bought eggs. We fried them up and plopped them down on a piece of toast topped with a little grated cheese and chopped arugula from the garden, salt and pepper to please. As I broke the first yolk my mind was filled with the memory of the girls as little chicks just peeping their hearts out from inside their tiny mailing carton, of B and me eating dinner in the basement every night giggling ourselves hiccupy with their goofiness, of catching pillbugs and watching them go nuts until Gonzo finally ate them. What a hoot.

8 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Oh ymmmm... such beautiful yellow yolks! My mouth is watering. I bet you had chicory too!

rachel said...

Am I the only one who feels just a tiny bit sad to eat all their hard work for breakfast?

Heather said...

Yes.

queenbeehoney said...

That was SUCH a Rachel comment! That's why we love you Rachie, you're always looking at situations from the perspective of a spring chicken!

dig this chick said...

simple pleasure, yes. perfect.

About the light thing...what did you decide to do? We will have to start turning one on for heat here in Montana soon although it has been getting below freezing and the girls just cuddle and seem totally fine.

Heather said...

Heya Nici. We did put a light in the coop, around the time when there stopped being 14 hours of natural light. People I know and things I've read say that the ladies need 12-14 hours of light to lay with any regularity. So we have a light on a timer that come on a few hours before the sun comes up. It's not really for warmth though. Here is a link to the people I go to for chicken information, and who don't recommend heating coops: http://www.mypetchicken.com/ebook.aspx?Chapter=7.

Silly name, but they are soooo great there and have answered every chicken related question I've emailed them over the last 5 months practically on a dime and in great detail. It does seem, from the photos on your blog, that your girls have a pretty cozy spot that is draft-proof, etc., and you have cold hearty breeds (I think - I can't remember your third lady).

ANYWAY. Such decisions! I'll be curious to know what you decide.

Heater

Susy said...

OOOO, I can't wait to have some ducks running around my yard next spring for eggs.

dig this chick said...

Thanks, h! I'll check it out. I haven't put heat on yet but it just gets really really cold here...hmmm. Perhaps the girls will fare jut fine. I'll check out the link.