Thursday, October 16, 2008

Persimmon Pudding


Well I don’t know about you, but I am glad that the debates are over. Early Voting just opened here, and I walked across campus and put in my ballot for our guy. Woo hoo. Sure is a sparkly fall day out there.

Speaking of fall, B’s dad and stepmum were up for a visit last weekend and guess what they brought me? A big bag of persimmons! Kinda like a big bag of gold in my opinion. Turns out that there’s a persimmon tree right by their house. These appear to be of the Hachiya variety. Where I grew up in West Virginia there were a lot of persimmon dishes around Thanksgiving, but I believe those were wild persimmons, very small and not sweet until after the first frost. I wonder if we have those here?

Anyway. The big bag of persimmons. They weren’t ripe, but I just put them in a paper bag and checked them every few days, and when one was soft and squishy to the touch I’d peel it and throw it in a jar. By yesterday it looked just about full enough, and sure enough, when I measured it up it was 2 cups exactly. With the persimmons that have yet to ripen I want to make some persimmon bread from a recipe given to me by this gal, and some persimmon cookies, but what with not having my hands on this many persimmons in years and years, first I had to make my childhood favorite: persimmon pudding. I used a recipe that I hand wrote a million years ago, who knows from where. Two things: this is not a pudding in the chocolate pudding kind of way, but rather in an English pudding sort of way. And it falls. It has fallen every time I’ve ever made it or seen it made; it just does that and I think it’s supposed to because otherwise the texture would be all wrong. We snacked on it during the debate, after a big pot of these beans and a big steamer full of kale. I hope Obama eats this well.


Persimmon Pudding

Blend together:
2 cups persimmon pulp
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cups butter, melted and cooled to room temp (4 tablespoons)
2 large eggs, room temperature

Whisk together:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon (and/or other spices like nutmeg and ginger)

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, but do not over stir.

Then add:
1/2 cup cream (you can use whole milk if you need to)
1/2 cup buttermilk (you can make buttermilk with regular milk and some vinegar)

Bake at 325 for about an hour in a 9 x 12 pan (9 x 13 is fine).

Thanks for the persimmons Tim and Gale!

4 comments:

cake said...

your pudding looks a lot like what i expected ours to be like when carl tried it. and i agree that it IS supposed to fall. i will pass this one on to him, he just got a couple more cups of pulp ready for baking.

so, even though those persimmons are not the kind that you remember from childhood, did it taste the same? the ones we are using are the small wild kind.

Heather said...

Yup, pretty much just the same! I can't remember, do you peel the wild ones?

dig this chick said...

Wow how exotic. Those persimmons ar gorgeous. And I love that word. Persimmon

queenbeehoney said...

What a perfectly beautiful persimmon pudding, and I love the dish! Was that a wedding present? Those persimmons don't look a thing like the ones Martha and I used to steal from the cemetery in Parkersburg. I tried to find Eva's PP recipe but no luck! And I can't remember if we strained the seeds out with a food mill or removed the skin. I do remember that when they were genuinely perfectly ripe, they looked about as awful as a fruit can look.