Monday, November 3, 2008

Fall Fall Fall


Happy Monday out there. I hope your weekends were as beautiful as ours. We sat in the backyard watching the leaves fall, rode bicycles in short sleeves, drank wine in the park across from puffs of bright yellow maples. So beautiful. We also clipped our girls’ wings, which was hilarious and not nearly as traumatic as last time, and B and I both braved up and worked the phones for Mister Obama. What a hoot. I left a lot of cheerful messages, got cursed at and hung up on once, and had a few really nice conversations with people. This Tuesday will be the first time in years that I have watched an election roll in on the east coast. I will probably be hanging from the ceiling by the time the polls close out west.

Above are veggies waiting for stir fry in lovely Diana Fayt bowls, each of them a wedding gift from loved ones all over. Our baby bok choy is big enough for fine eats and I love the sweet crisp that it adds. The garden is happy – our kale is big and strong and last week I picked the first full serving of it without fretting that I was taking too much. The lettuces and arugula are sweet and spicy. The chard and beets did not germinate too well this round, I think we might need new seeds, but we have a handful of them nonetheless. The leaves are slowly dropping from the cherry and peach trees, and our blueberry bushes have gone from green to yellow to red. And so it goes. Enjoy fall out there.

3 comments:

themanicgardener said...

Good for you for putting in the hours for Obama, Heather. I'm going to have some folks over, so there's someone to share the tension with.
--Kate

queenbeehoney said...

I'm working until 8 tomorrow. John is ferrying folks to the polls. We decided he should do it because he never gets lost (well, hardly ever).

I'm having stir fry for dinner tonight too. Supposed to go to yoga, but I think I'll go home and take a walk instead. I just don't feel like being inside!

Susan Tomlinson said...

pretty bowls and pretty veggies in them.

Good for you manning the phones. Here's one for hope winning tomorrow.