Friday, December 12, 2008

Tree Sap


Oh my goodness. Just plain old busy around here. The man just finished up his finals, with smashing success as usual, and I have been sick, after just recently reflecting upon how long it had been since I got sick. Grr. Nothing deadly, mind you, at this point just an extremely annoying cough that wakes me up out of a dead sleep for a pleasant 20 minutes of hacking. Awesome.

In non-sarcastic awesome news, we got our tree a few days ago, later than usual due to aforementioned sickness and the fact that our car is the size of a roller skate. In what turned out be a fantastic discovery, there is this place that sells trees on the cheap-o while they are still bound up. Downside: no walking around in the cold picking the perfect tree. Upside: will fit into a roller skate. B knocked it out of the park and ended up bringing home the most perfectly shaped tree in the universe. It’s crazy beautiful and once I again I could not believe that I even entertained the thought of not getting a tree. I am allowed to have five hundred favorite things about Christmas, but really, my favorite thing about Christmas is sitting in the dark with just the tree lights on. I never fail to be filled with gratitude for how many amazing people I love and am loved by, for how beautiful the space around me can be, for how the passing of time is a wondrous thing. I may want to catch it by the coattails sometimes, but the fact is that every year is more spectacular than the last. Yeah, there’s always some sap in my Christmas tree…


Before I really bit the dust I baked up some snickerdoodles, a cookie I am not even entirely sure I like enough to be baking it at home, but dang it, I loved them when I was a kid and I had all the ingredients so there you go. When I was a kid we baked a lot of cookies, including snickerdoodles, out of this cookbook:


Choice, no? I look at the photo now and see mostly food coloring and tasteless sugar cookies, but man, when I was a kid I thought that cooky [sic] book was awesomeness incarnate. You should see the full color spreads inside (and no, I don’t own this anymore, but I found someone’s flickr page of it that took me waaaaaaay back).

Hey guess what? Hot on the heels of my fabulous visit with my BFF Dietlind, here comes my other BFF and her husband! And just before that, for a snippet of time, we get to hang out with my childhood BFF (conveniently also named Rachel) and her beau. Can you get over my luck? Me neither. Before that we are headed north to hang with my mama again, ‘cause it was just so much fun last time. Plus we are dying to read book two in the Reading Aloud While Driving tradition we started over Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Arghhhh! I don't like to hear that my girl is coughing. Worry, worry.

I must find that cookbook. Surely it must be in the attic somewhere.

judith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
judith said...

speaking of reading aloud, i nominate Jane Wagner's The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe. Cause it is splendid AND cuz i the canNOT-read-in-the-car-without-getting-SOheadacheysicktummywoogyILL girl read the entire thing to my driver once on a trip to NYC. So i think in addition to be being brilliant it also has magic powers.

glad you feeling better. think of it as well THAT's done for another year or so?

cake said...

we did not have that cooky book, but we did have a similar one, with images that we used to pour over as kids...dreaming...