Friday, December 19, 2008

We Eat Our Greens


Ok, I don’t want you thinking that we are rotting our teeth over here with nothing but cookies, so today’s offering is a soup recipe that is both tasty and good for you and seems to come out ok no matter how many shortcuts I take when I make it. Plus it has a soft boiled egg plopped into it at the last minute which pretty much makes it a winner in my book (note: new favorite trick – forgetting to put baking eggs on the counter to reach room temperature and running out to the coop for a handful that were recently warmed by a chicken’s butt).


It is crazy warm here right now. Like I am looking darkly at trees and thinking “don’t you dare go crazy and bud right now” in as fierce of a way as possible. I think a cold front is headed our way, thank goodness. For now the chickens are psyched and my garlic just got another three inches of straw mulch because it was peeping up over the heavy layer already there – hey, I see you! Yum. The warm weather did give us a chance to pull off the hoops and the frost blankets to take better inventory than we usually do when we duck in there for greens. Some of the arugula bit the dust and the bok choy that we didn’t get to went to seed and thus went to the girls. But the greens and lettuces grow on. I swear that every time we eat greens, which, er, is a lot, we talk about how much better they taste than anything from the store. So. Sweet.

Ok enough about greens, back to cookies. This fine lady linked to this thing and it is practically giving me a heart attack. You were warned.

Quinoa Soup with Greens

3/4 cup of quinoa
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
3 medium soup potatoes (I like red skinned ones), chopped into the size you prefer (me: small)
2 quarts good chicken stock
1 cup water or enough to adjust the consistency to your ideal
4 cups chopped greens (I used chard, spinach and kale)
1 bunch of scallions, chopped (I use a fair amount of the green part too)
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg per person
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté garlic lightly in a dab of olive oil. Toss in quinoa and just stir to coat and toast for a handful of minutes. Add the stock and water, simmer for 10 minutes. Add chopped potatoes, and spices. Simmer until potatoes are just about tender (circa 10 minutes depending upon the size of your potato cubes – keep any eye on this as it’s easy to over cook them). Add the greens and scallions and simmer for another 3 minutes. Lower the heat and add the pat of butter and adjust seasoning and consistency. Boil your eggs in a separate pan (I like my hard boiled eggs to be oh-so-barely hard so that they are still a deep shiny orange in the center. Bringing water to a boil, putting the egg in and setting a timer for 7 minutes will get you eggs like that.). Ladle soup into bowls, slice your eggs in half (the long way if you please), put the eggs on top, enjoy.

3 comments:

dig this chick said...

I love your new favorite trick. How many eggs are you getting? I think we will do the light thingy...we are getting jsut one a day and I am pretty sure Clementine is the rock star. I am am positive that Bossy hasn't ever laid a thing. What to do about that? Don't tell Andy for starters.

I have been gathering frozen solid eggs with cracks all the way around the circumference. They still taste delicious...we just let them thaw in a bowl and cook right on up to devour.

Heather said...

Oh Bossy! Andy is going to soup-pot you if he gets word. We are getting 4-5 eggs a day right now, from seven ladies. I only have the light on for an hour in the morning at this point - it was on for longer, but I was worried that perhaps they were beating each other up in there as we have a few mysteriously missing feathers.

Hope you guys are having a smashing Christmas. The pics of Bug at her birthday party were day-making. I now look at people eating rapidly and think of the word 'hoover.' Awesome.

cake said...

aww. i wish you hadn't shared that link to the cookies of the year...i'm lost in there. forever.