Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter Color Week: Yellow


When I looked out the window in the middle of the night it was white with snow. Just a dusting, but around here we take what we can get. It was still there in the morning but it's gone now, leaving just some damn cold weather in its place.

I like yellow. A lot. It is not a color for the wearing of things, as I think it makes me look like I haven't slept or eaten a vegetable in two weeks, but I make up for it in the home economics department. I meant to take a picture of my favorite chicken, who is a beautiful golden yellow, and a picture of our garlic shooting up through crazy layers of rich yellow straw, but the early morning and the previously mentioned cold conspired against both of those. Thus.


Everyone knows that I am a sucker for this gal's work.


And this gal's.


This one would get an F in food styling. Sorry, sorry. But it's some wicked tasty farm fresh egg salad. Made with homemade mayonnaise, and put on homemade bread for a fantastic lunch. I think I mentioned that I got a human bread machine when B got the bread bug at my mom's house. We came home and he cracked open this book and lemme tell you: it really is as easy as all that (note: we don't have a pizza stone and it's all ok - use a cast iron skillet if you have one, a baking sheet if you don't). B has turned out some exceptional crusty sourdough kinds of loaves, and then we (umm, yes - it's so easy that I can do it) made a sandwich loaf with whole wheat and wheat germ and a little bit of rye flour. It is not only cheap and virtuous, but holy hell, it makes the house smell fantastic.

The egg salad is just eggs, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, very finely chopped celery, and a lot of flat leaf parsley. If you want to lose your mind at lunch then chop up some bacon and throw that it. Oooph.

5 comments:

Trailing Mira said...

I will dream of homemade bread tonight... YUM. Seriously though, I am gonna have to get on that bread-making train.

Daphne said...

Yum homemade bread. I used to make bread all the time. I rarely eat it now and more rarely make it. I think the thing I miss about it is the smell when it bakes.

cake said...

love the winter color week!

i'm on a mission to make whole grain bread that tastes yummy. i've been consulting peter reinhart's _whole grain bread_ book. it is fascinating, fun and, so far, delicious.

egg salad is a favorite.

leya said...

Thanks for joining in this week, lady.
I have that little apple dish -- it holds my paperclips...I wonder what yours holds?

xo,
leya

judith said...

LOVE THA TEGG!!!!!!

want yr uncle mikey to see that somehow. that's a lovel yegg. a negg to inspire appreciation of all bright & supple yolks, all humble & handso meggs.