Monday, February 9, 2009

A Little Shot of Spring


So. I know it will get cold again, I do. But this weekend was the first to carry the spring in its breezes, the smell of melt, of growth, of dirt heaving up moist and fecund and dark. We hiked 5 miles in temperatures over 60, we hung the wash out on the line to dry, we walked the yard and marveled at the buds on our fruit trees and lilac bushes, blueberries, and columbines. The girls decided to celebrate by laying five eggs in one day, and we chatted with neighbors for the first time in months. Our seeds came in the mail on Friday and we sifted through packets of Golden Beets and Mokum Carrots and Kentucky Blue Beans. Ready steady go.



6 comments:

Alan said...

All that and no mud. Lucky!

Chiot's Run said...

So nice outside - I LOVE IT. I was able to get some garden chores finished. I would have loved to hang out some laundry but I took the line down. So I used the dryer.

dig this chick said...

Glorious! I never say that word but have had a few glasses of wine and, well, it just seemed appropriate. Clothes on the line? wow. Five eggs? yo.

dig this chick said...

Oh and I ordered the extraordinarily fabulous bread in 30 seconds a day book. huzzah!

tina said...

loved the laundry and i can feel the sun through the yellos.

cake said...

even your laundry looks artsy!