Monday, February 2, 2009

Passing By


Well yeesh. It was quite a weekend at our house. A lot of fine music, tasty food, final touches on the living room, the finishing of an excellent boot, and The Wrestler. Jeezus, the last thing nearly took me out. Has anyone else seen this yet? The first great thing about it was that I got to see this without seeing a single preview. Which is complicated, because I love previews. But seeing a really excellent film without any idea what it is going to be about is just the best. I know, you’re thinking “Umm, it’s called The Wrestler.” Yeah, but I didn’t think it was going to be about that kind of wrestling. Anyway. I have this thing, this passing out thing that happens when I watch a certain kind of physical injury (or get my eyes numbed, as it turns out). Notable films that have kicked my ass in this department: Pulp Fiction (needle in the heart scene) and Million Dollar Baby (both when she goes down and when she bites her tongue off). Not so notable films that have also kicked my ass: a safety film about eye injuries one can get when playing racquetball without protective eyewear (what, you didn’t see that one?). This one was especially awesome because all four seventh grade classes were assembled in the gym bleachers to watch this together so my audience was possibly at an all-time record. Anyway. It sucks so enormously; I don’t really totally pass out, just kind of get faint and suddenly feel tapped into all the hurting that all these bodies are surely doing somewhere in the world and then I kind of crash out on whatever horizontal surface is around. Gah. The body in this film takes quite a beating, and I found it pretty heartbreaking. Sort of sentimental at times and really nothing about it will surprise you. But still. It moved me right off my center in a powerful way.


In other fine media, I just finally read Out Stealing Horses, which I thought was very good. It was described as misogynistic by the person who finally persuaded me to read this, which I would not entirely disagree with. Even so. I love spare books like this. Also books about work, the labor of a certain kind of human life, and how people are taught to do such things in a certain way when they are young. Sometimes a Great Notion is one of my favorites and although I would not call it spare, it is all those other things. Funny, both of these books are in some degree about logging. Weird. Anyway, I haven’t mentioned any books here in ages, mostly because I was busily making my way through a raft of entirely unrecommendable shit. I did read Sea of Poppies and enjoyed it some, and I did read The Secret Scripture and enjoy it immensely. His writing is first rate in my opinion, Annie Dunne is also a favorite of mine, but in this latest one he did do a bit much in the plot wrapping up department for my taste which I found out of character for him. I find that I like a book with a generously open ending.


Anyway. I do say anyway quite a lot, don’t I? Oh well. I have a delicious beet risotto recipe for you soon. Some photos of the living room and my Christmas socks from this girl. Be well out there.

6 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

The living room is too loverly for words. Very exciting, especially as I got to see the "before". I don't envy you the job of keeping the white in that beautiful carpet clean, but I bet it's a knockout with the curtains. Love the grey and yellow theme ~ they are SUCH complimentary colors. Is there anything more fun than nesting and creating a beautiful space to live in and beautiful food to eat?

love love love

judith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
judith said...

"Is there anything more fun than nesting and creating a beautiful space to live in and beautiful food to eat? "
no. and from another age and time and set of reasons i am doing the same, step by step. so your picture of your room just took many breaths away - the first couple all about YOU i promise. what colors and shapes. what grace and joy. would love to see more photos. will trade photos of my yellow & grey living room? (i use my phone - it will not be a fair trade....;->

i got the bread book and will get the braise. you are such a gift.

rachel said...

if there was ever a girl who could keep the rug clean...

queenbeehoney said...

Oh Rachel, you make me laugh! It's so true. Heather is indeed the Spot Out Queen! Heaven forbid that we wash or dry clean, but those spots have to go.

cake said...

that rug is so luscious!

since i am not a musician, i didn't know that you could just keep your instruments out like that, on the wall. i thought maybe the ones in the photo were "decorative" or something. i figured the case was crucial to keep them from...warping? shows what i know! i love the idea of you just grabbing one off the wall, and playing.

the room looks fantastic.