Friday, March 20, 2009

Home to Spring


Woowee kids, we are home from a whirlwind tour of the northeast that was fun filled and food filled, just like we like 'em. We soaked up incredible friends, ran said incredible friends All Over Town to eat dim sum and ethiopian food, and sealed the foodie deal by playing an insanely fun game of highly modified Iron Chef with them. Seriously people, do this now, you will not regret it. Thanks for the awesome hosting Josh and Phil!!

Then on to Portland for much needed family visits. Have I said here how much I dig B's family? I have? Oh well, I mean it all over again. Plus, I love Portland. I do not want to love Portland. It's cold and far away from my fabulous family. But every time I go there I think I might love it a little more. I love the ocean that does not mean that there are a lot of people in bikinis all the time. I love the fresh breeze. I love that it seems like a good mix of ages. I love how strong the local food scene is up there. I love that there seems to be a lot of stuff going on that I would want to do but is not overwhelming like the other Portland or New York.

Anyway. The visit was fabulous, if a lot of moving a shaking, so I am glad to have the weekend to poke around outside.

Speaking of outside. Although it was not the snow storm we had secretly hoped for up north, it was still chilly and B's aunt and uncle have an ice floe occupying their entire back yard; suffice to say that spring is knocking on the door but staying outside with muddy shoes up there. So coming home has been one exclamation after the other: bradford pears, weeping cherries, forsythia, quince, willow. So beautiful. We look out onto the largest weeping cherry I have ever seen (like the size of a huge oak, for real), and it is gearing up for the annual spring show.

Plus, our indoor seeds went crazy while we were away. Everything is up: basil, eggplant, delicata squash, butternut squash, tomatillos, lemon basil, sungold tomatoes, hillbilly tomatoes, and sweet peppers. Our hot peppers were on backorder so they just went in yesterday. Such fun.


Anyway we are glad to be home. I hope that everyone had a fabulous week out there. The photos are flowering qince and daffodils in a Diana Fayt vase given to us by this favorite girl (also from Portland, ahem). Love the vase and love her.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a lovely blog! Best of luck with your seed starts!

I'm a member at a forum that may interest you: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=139

Cheers!