Monday, April 13, 2009

Carrots & Bun

First, a confession. We have been going here. I know, I am late. And I can't even really say why now. We watched Firefly long ago and I fell in love with fiddles in space but it wasn't like I ran out and rented Buffy immediately after. Anyway, it is so flipping awesome. I am a complete pansy when it comes to things popping out from behind doors and as such I do a lot of squeaking and cringing, but I just can't stop.

Ok, so this weekend was awesome. We played tunes and walked our beautiful neighborhood and I made amazing granola because if I eat another bowl of oatmeal I might freak out and B made one of the most spectacular dinners in the history of dinners, a sort of fresher version of saag along with chicken this way and saffron rice. Jeez O Pete it was so good. We spent most of Easter working in the garden. Well, B was tinkering with our rain barrels for a while. During a downpour Friday night we finally figured out why they were overflowing. Enter the incredible sound of cutting metal while the husband makes larger overflows. It's like Satan in both of your ears, on Easter morning no less. Sorry neighbors. Anyway, although we decided that we did need a larger overflow, the main issue was our screen setup for keeping roof debris and leaves out of the barrel. It was kind of fun to slog around in the rain and finally figure this out, I always feel very tough in my rain boots and rain pants and such. And our foundation will be very happy.


Mokum Carrot Seeds

Anyway. This weekend we started the rhubarb patch! And planted some dahlias and some euphorbia and some rosemary. The raised bed looks a little scattershot right now, but I have done more succulent and herb gardening than anything else and I know that the things we have planted there will want their space and then once they all smoosh together it will look awesome. We also planted another round of carrots! I am so pleased with our first round of germination. Does everyone know about starting carrots under a board or a piece of fabric or whatnot? Thus less freaking out about whether your carrots have gone dry, but be sure to take it off when you start to see sprouts. The carrot seeds we got are so beautiful, kind of shiny and silver. Are they all like that?


Mokum Carrot Starts

Ok, lastly. We made bún last night. I just suddenly wanted it in the worst way, despite it really being too early for such a dish (it pained me to buy basil and cilantro when I have four inch starts of both of them growing in my living room). Oh man. Rather than make fried pork spring rolls, which is what I usually order bún with, we just made a hacked together version of this and it was perfect. So fresh and crazy good. We goofed and bought cellophane noodles instead of rice noodles and it was just fine. I really liked making this at home because usually I wish there were more veggies and fewer noodles when I get it at a Vietnamese restaurant.


Bún with Thit Heo Bam

Bún with Thit Heo Bam
Serves 4

1/2 pound thin rice noodles

2 cups thinly sliced napa/savoy cabbage
6 scallions, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, shredded or julienned
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped

3 large cloves of garlic, peeled
1/2 cup fish sauce
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 serranos, seeded and finely chopped

1 1/2 pounds ground pork, prepared this way.

1. Prepare noodles according to cooking instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water, portion into four bowls.

2. Chop veggies and portion into the four bowls, along with the peanuts and pork. Artfully mind you.

3. Put garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse until minced. Add fish sauce, water, lime juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and chilies. Pureee (keep your hand over the opening, it will want to escape). Note: this makes *a lot* of sauce - we went for it because we are going to eat this all summer long, but you could easily halve it.

4. Pour about a third of a cup of sauce over each bowl and serve. I like more sauce than some people, but you can always add more. Yum.

2 comments:

dig this chick said...

hi! So good to back and catching up with you. Bun? Gotta have it. Looks delish.

And your carrots! I am jealous although I do have dozens and dozens of cute arugula and lettuces peeking out all over my plot....I am behind. This weekend!

judith said...

still haven't really done Buffy, but am huge fan of Firefly and am the only person i know giving his new show - Dollhouse- any attention at all (on HULU mind you - poor man's cable/dvr) cuz the writing it is the horrible. sigh.

this year, all the lost tulips & some truly heroic volunteers are showing up. like friends who thrive on neglect - leaving me humbled & thrilled.