Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Morning in the Dirt


New plant bought for us by the Mum at the Arboretum this weekend. Identified there as Toadflax, I grew this in California as South African Snap Dragon. All in the Linaria family, er genus, I guess. I am normally not wild about pink flowers, but, you know: look at these!


Berries on the left, veggies on the right. Mulch coming soon...

So librarians work crazy hours. Weekends, evenings, complicated rotational schedules that leave husbands forever wondering if you will be home for dinner. It's pretty much just part of the job though, and most of the time I love it - I like random days off in the middle of the week and sneaky mornings at home. Like this one. This morning I watched the chickens playing in their new enormous chicken run. They are So Busy. Running, scratching, dust bathing, eating, running some more - flippin' awesome. I also baked up one of these, with a few modifications. I added about a cup and a half of sour cherries to the rhubarb, and swapped out some cinnamon for some nutmeg because I personally think that rhubarb and nutmeg are buddies. Kissing buddies even. I also baked it in a slightly larger pan because I like less cake to my fruit. Even so, I would up the rhubarb next time, especially if you don't add any cherries. But still: yum. I also planted 25 bareroot strawberry plants in the front blueberry bed. It's late for bareroot planting here, especially since it just got so warm, but I was really attached to planting an old fashioned strain that was good for jams and freezing and whatever. Around here the nurseries just seem to have the strains that give you the most enormous berry possible. So. In a few years there will be strawberry rhubarb pie in the front yard! Anyway. Lots of fun.



Lettuce Quilt. We are trying to be better mulchers this summer...

2 comments:

cake said...

so, maybe the key to bigger lettuce heads is giving them some space. looking at your lovely lettuce bed, i think i need to do some thinning.

that baked concoction looks so wonderful. i'll be looking for rhubarb at the farmer's market. sadly, we finished off the last of our sour cherries a few weeks ago. gives us some time to miss them before cherry pickin' season, i guess.

dig this chick said...

Your lettuce is so tidy! And your front yard is a thing of raw beauty. Jealous of the jump start you have on us over here. Good idea to not use the tires for potatoes. xo