Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Git 'Er Done

Ok, the goal of this post is to stop abusing the word 'awesome' - I know I can do it.

This weekend went by in a blur. The film was so good. Like many, I thought the contemporary storyline was a bit of a snooze, but I loved the Julia/Meryl bits so very, very much, even if I did wish that there was more food in the film. The peach sauce came out the best yet, and what we didn't freeze we enjoyed on the first waffles since summer hit. The eggplant/tomato/garlic/leek/pepper sauce came out tip top. The second to last enormous batch of pesto was made and put away for later. The tunes were way fun.


Hey, that's our friend Jenni up there who gives us all sorts of garden advice. And B picking enormous leeks for supper...

Oh, and I nearly forgot: we also sheet mulched the remainder of the front yard. No...more...grass. Note that I am able to be so flip about it because the husband pretty much kicked this project's ass single handedly. I did some mulch shoveling and loading and spreading, but B did all the edging and cardboarding and brick lining and bed making. I did, however, charm some free mulch out of the forestry guys here at work. Yay free.


Anyway, we are so happy to have this project done. We added a half circle bed under the bedroom windows, for mostly shade loving plants, and one more smaller bed that we'll try to use for things that go crazy like squash one year, then tomatoes, then beans, or whatever. The mulch still needs to settle some and get tromped down, but a good rain and our usual running around out there should fix that in no time. We dumped the last wheelbarrow of mulch and looked at each other and said "We are done out here for a while." For real. Now we just garden in it, which compared to desodding and fruit tree planting and bed making is a lovely breeze of effort.

9 comments:

cake said...

fantastic! i love it. must be so satisfying!

i was just thinking of the phrase "git 'er done"

and my love/hate relationship with it. so, cracked me up to see it as the title of your post!

Heather said...

giggle...is it the misogynistic thread wafting through it that bothers you? ; )

rachel said...

oh heather, it looks so beautiful!

Whis said...

H & B, the garden looks great! Now if you could only get that house out of the way you could grow more goodies!

Heather said...

Ha ha Whis, don't tempt us!

Rachy, did that durn shirt you are wearing in your Google photo thingy ever sell???!? I think it's funny that both of our pictures are old Bees pictures.

dietlind said...

heats: i love it. you & ben are so inspiring in the gardening/ growing department. the mulch looks great actually. i like it better than grass.

dig this chick said...

Oh it look sooooo great! Love it and CONGRATS on that huge effort. I've never grown leeks! I can't believe it either. Now that I haven't been hauled off to jail for planting in my sunny boulevard, perhaps I can carve out some leek space next year.

queenbeehoney said...

Wow. Those are giant leeks that boy is toting. Everything looks so beautiful.

sk said...

This is so inspiring! I love it.