Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Like Pie


Yesterday was one of the hottest days of the summer here. Sweaty muggy steamy greasy heat. So I baked a pie. What a nerd. I have been gunning to make the Cook's Illustrated Blueberry Pie for over a year now. Their shtick is that this recipe makes a non-runny pie but does not rely on ingredients that tend to cause a gelatinous situation (namely lots of cornstarch). They have you use a bit of finely ground tapioca and a granny smith apple, thus cashing in on the natural pectin in apples. Anyway, I've never had enough blueberries to feel like I can bake one of these, but now that we are extremely set in the blueberry department I figured it was time. It's a slightly fussy recipe, and I don't know if it's worth it because we haven't eaten this pie yet! Can you believe that? I baked it so late that it wasn't even close to cool when it was time to go to bed and I really wanted to let it cool to see if the texture promises were true. Fortunately there were ripe peaches on hand or I think B would have seriously mutinied. I will know more tonight. Crust note: I am a huge fan of this crust recipe, although I frequently use all butter and always do the whole damn thing in a food processor.

Also. The tomatoes. Not only are we still literally drowning in Sungolds, the Hillbilly tomatoes have started to kick in. Black Krims soon. We are doing this with our sungolds, and we are having gazpacho for dinner tonight, yum!

Here is a big tomato we grew:


Here is a huge tomato we grew:

5 comments:

Sarah N. said...

I hope you like the pie as much as we did when I made it. I haven't the will power to wait until I pie cools. But it wasn't even very runny hot out of the oven and definitely thickened great later.

Zarah Maria said...

A couple of days ago, my facebook status said: richness is (amongst other things) to be able to go out onto you balcony and pick fresh tomatoes. That was just tomatoes for lunch. Blueberries, tomatoes, and all the other stuff you have? Woman, you are WEALTHY beyond words!:)

cake said...

ooh la la on the slow roasted cherry tomatoes! i just made some, and had them with fresh pesto from the garden. they are perfect. you have saved my life!

Heather said...

YAY!

dig this chick said...

Oh and I so want to make the slow roasted tomatoes. Which I can do because of the October-like weather we are having. Your food stuff is always so inspiring.