Monday, September 14, 2009

This Post Doesn't Have a Title


Titles are too much effort this morning.

Monday on the heels of another "let's take it easy" weekend that somehow didn't take itself all that easy. It was a good one though, and the garden is that much closer to some version of fall season done for now. I planted overwintering red onion seeds, which I am pretty excited about. My fall food fatigue has me especially fond of our crops that don't demand immediate eating: garlic, squash, potatoes, onions, leeks. So patient, so fine with being eaten later! That up there is a four pound butternut, isn't she a beauty? Our squash plants were so weird this year - first they looked great, then like hell, then great again, then like hell, and now they look like a big proper green squash jungle. I think the mildews were just insane this year, both powdery and downy, but we got on it with our milk spray and our bacillus subtilis, and all was well, twice. We have harvested about a dozen pretty sizable squash, and now the vines are covered with little guys. Will they make it before the frost comes?


Now that up there is a bowl of fifteen (15) peppers, who are not so patient about when they get eaten. This after picking about a dozen last week. Guess who is having stuffed peppers for dinner again tonight? Right.


Lastly, this bouquet is for Sally. She was a mom in my life, and she died a few days ago. She read this blog sometimes, and she told my mom that it seemed so hopeful, and I guess that is so. I hadn't seen her in years, but I can see her face in my mind as clear as can be. What a beauty, and better than that I can hear her laugh.

3 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Tears for Sally this morning. She discovered flowers late in her growing life, like me it was all about the vegetables for a long time. But when she finally did discover them, she was in love.

sorrygardener said...

Your blog is very hopeful. You have a contemporary, easy writing voice and nearly always slip in an observation or two that are quite honest and intimate without oversharing (i.e. the wedding anniversary spoon, looking at each other while picking blueberries, your slippers, etc). I've been following you most of the year and that's why I keep coming back. You have some good recipes--for food and for living life.

Heather said...

Gosh, that is so nice of you! Thanks for that.