Monday, October 26, 2009

Back to Work


Well, my lovely fall break is now over. It was so great. I read a bazillion books, slept in, saw friends I don't see enough, did some garden construction, walked our neighborhood, yapped on the phone, learned a new fiddle tune, and did some sewing. Oh, and I tried making croissants. Jesus, the butter. The dough was super agreeable to work with, but I was not happy with the results; great flavor, from multiple fermentations, but the texture was not ok - no shatter. I am going to go out on a limb here and state that I think it might have something to do with our oven, however cute it is, it's a little bit wonky to say the least. I only did half the dough, and I am going to bring the other half to my mum's for Thanksgiving, because her oven is like a space ship and then we will know for sure if this is an oven thing. It sure was fun to move that much butter around though...




Everything grows in the garden. Although Red Russian is our go-to kale variety (grows so fast, keeps growing, nice broad leaves, sweet), we also have some beautiful purple and green types this year that are lovely. The broccoli and cabbages are making their little heads, the beets are bright and lovely. This is a good winter garden - the first year was over the top, just way too much for us to handle (don't even ask me about the fava beans), last year was late and too small, and I think this year might finally be just the right amount planted at just the right time. We learn, and now we finally write it down in a little messy book, the dates, the seed types, the reminders. Fun.


Anyhoo, hope the weekends were good out there. Don't forget to eat your greens.

5 comments:

lotta said...

My son and I have tried to make croissants several times (it is his favorite pastry) without success. We tested different recipes, different oven settings, to no prevail... So it may not be your oven at all, just a tricky treat to make. Love all the cabbage photos. Looks tasty.

Heather said...

Le sigh. So possible. If they lack shatter at my mom's house, I am putting "apprentice to a french baker" on my long list of things to do in life. There is really nothing like a proper croissant.

Hope you are enjoying fall over there!

Anna said...

Your vegetables look beautiful! Lucky you with all those great greens.
Any tips on growing kale? My husband and I have a couple of large container pots, each with only one kale plant each: one is lacinato and the other is russian red kale. They're both spindly and just generally kind of anemic-looking and we've had them for at least a month. They already seem just a bit happier now that the weather's cooler, but they certainly aren't thriving.
We thought that by allowing them plenty of space, we'd have nice, big plants...
Thanks!

Heather said...

Hey Anna! How's the soil in the pots? Perhaps a topical spray of some fish emulsion or other gentle fertilizer would give them a boost. Any bugs sucking on them? Sometimes aphids can hide in the folds. Other than that, just lots of sun, and regular, deep waterings (sometimes potted things get stunted from over frequent but not deep enough waterings...). Hope that helps!

Anna said...

Thanks for the thoughts, Heather! The plants are already perking up. I think they're appreciating the cooler weather. I think I'm going to try replanting them a bit deeper than they are, and hope that the spindly stem shoots off some roots. We've had lots of rain until this week, but I'll be sure to remember what you said about regular, deep waterings.