Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Feet


Mmmm, I love cozy socks. I wear these clogs all the time, yet I am not entirely sure if I like them. I generally hate shiny shoes, and patent leather must have kicked me when I was a child because I generally hate that too, but here I am in shiny patent leather red clogs. Right.

We had a really, really nice weekend. Super yummy breakfasts on both days, all made by the husband because being married to him has so atrophied my breakfast skills that we both know from experience that it's best if he makes the waffles and eggs. Nice girlie lunch with a friend, dinner with probably our favorite couple around here, a beautiful fall bike ride with some quality lounging in a park under beautiful trees, and a fiddle lesson that completely made my head explode. Seriously, I started crying because I was so excited, how dorky is that? It is just so flipping amazing to learn these tunes that I have loved and played for years, and god, it takes so much fucking concentration to absorb the bowing and the notes together. B is completely stellar at teaching me this stuff. Seriously. There is no way that I could break down stuff that I can already play - he just shows me and I woodshed it and then it's in my head and my hands but ain't no way it could ever come out of my mouth. So. Fun. Anyway. Then last night we ate a lovely supper and did a bunch of cleaning out the garden and winter prep. Everything looks so good out there, and I think those last huge butternuts are going to beat the frost. Hey, does anyone else have chickens who completely flip out for pepper plants? Our girls seriously lose it over them, they cannot get those leaves down fast enough. Meanwhile the kale and chard stuffs that we toss them are clearly Not Very Exciting. They completely give me the "I ran all the way across the back yard for this?" look when that's what I've thrown in there. Crazy hens.

Hope the weekends were good out there.

5 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

I feel like pulling up our six ENORMOUS pepper plants and immediately driving them to Asheville so that the girls can each have one (ok, so I'm one short, will they notice?)

Heather said...

Would that they noticed! Unfortunately, they prefer to all bicker over the same one even while several are there for the taking.

miss sophie said...

heather, thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

i've recently rediscovered clogs myself...now i'm really curious about the no.6 clog boots for winter.

Heather said...

Likewise! So far I completely and totally love my boots (I got them in black) - today is the first day that I've worn them in really rainy muddy weather, and although they feel a bit "tippy" they have great grip. I think all clogs are sort of tippy. Anyway, Creatures of Comfort has (had?) them on sale....

dig this chick said...

I love that you cried over your fiddle lesson. I just adore that kind of excitement and passion.

I sometimes wish I reacted to things that excite me the way Margot does when she sees a fish or puts on her fog boots. She squeals and hops and claps. Good stuff.

And, our hens totally ignore chard. They didn't really care about the pepper plants...although they only had a coupla days in the garden before the frost made everything unpalatable.