Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Look Down


Thanks for all the well wishes from far flung parts. Fun.

It warmed up some and now it's cold again. I am so in love with my warm winter coat. Not in love with our bent ice scraper or our heating bill, but oh well - I am warm while I scrape with what is essentially a nail file and I can always wear my coat inside. These photos are of my columbines. Out of a frozen patch of unprotected earth, there they are mustering up the beginning of their spring show. I can't say how immensely delightful these little whorls are to me, I can even see them from where I am scraping the windshield and cursing. And once you look - the peach tree, the cherry tree, the forsythia, the blueberry bushes, the lilacs, even some of our bulbs - they all have begun to mark the beginning of the turn around. "Yes," I think. They know something about spring in a way that I can never know. I'll notice when the temperatures finally settle in the fifties and when the dogwood and cherry blooms arrive and when my pea sprouts pop up. But right now in the bitter morning I am left taking my cues from these tiny yet monumental efforts all around me. Bring it.


We are super tucked in around here. B has been cooking like a man possessed, braising pots of delicious smelling dishes and surprising me with blueberry crisps and other delights. Yesterday was the anniversary of our first date. B came over and we baked Pepparkakor cookies and talked for about eight hours and had a tea party on the floor at two in the morning (no, that is not a euphemism) and it was the best date ever. If you had told me then that I was going to marry that guy, I probably would have believed you.

No comments: