Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spring Gardens

Well kids, we have emerged from the deep freeze over here. Seriously cold weather, but you know what? I kind of got used to it once I figured out what to wear to keep warm.

So. I love this time. This is seed buying and garden dreaming time. Evenings at the kitchen table discussing whether we were happy with the kinds of peppers and tomatoes we grew last year, and wondering whether the lettuce seeds we've been planting for years now will germinate this spring. Realizing that in less than two months we'll be sprawled on the kitchen floor potting up eggplant and squash and tomatoes and basil, and that for eight weeks after that one corner of our living room will be filled with a ghostly glow and an explosion of sweet greens. I love growing things.

As it turns out we are growing a few new things this spring. Some new short-day onions, some melons, a few new kinds of peppers and beans. But we are also growing something else new, something you might be able to chew on now and then but something that you probably shouldn't eat in earnest. Here's a hint:


Yup. This little family of two is growing a third. We are so stinkin' excited. He's due the day after our wedding anniversary in June. Quite an anniversary present, no?

Hope you are all well out there.

P.S. I went back to Johnny's. They got me with a $10 off an order of at least $20. The code is 10-1006, not sure how long it will last though...

12 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

Congrats!

dietlind said...

I can't wait to chew on your bun!!!

Kelly (the sorry gardener) said...

Congratulations! That is simply awesome news.

machinelf said...

Congratulations.

Zarah Maria said...

Wohooo! Congratulations Heather! I can tell you from first-hand experience it's a ride, and one you'll love! :D

dig this chick said...

woot! I have been wondering how you are feeling? And I really want a growing belly photo. So cute how you told us. xxoo!

booksNyarn said...

Congratulations! Such wonderful news.

leya said...

Yay! You spilled the beans. Once again, so excited for you guys. xoxo

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your bun! I just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading all about your veg growing and chicken rearing exploits. I have chickens too, and I try (but mostly fail!) to grow veg so all your sucesses are an inspiration. Just thought I'd say hi :)

cake said...

yikes! i haven't been keeping up with blog reading lately, and MISSED this terribly exciting news. though i don't even know you guys officially, i have been waiting for this day! you're gonna make delightful, not to mention, competent parents. congrats.

Heather said...

I've been missing you, Miss Kayte! I know I will be bugging you with lots of questions... Hope you and Cosmo and Carl are all snug as bugs.

Heather

Heather said...

And Miss Zarah Maria - where are the pictures of your little guy? (It was a boy, yes?) Miss your posts...!

Heather