Thursday, February 25, 2010

More Clutches

Hello there, icy roads and bone chilling wind, back already? Fumph. You'll just find me huddled around my teacup muttering "I believe in Spring," yes you will.

Anyway.



We have been eating especially well over here lately. B has had some new-found time in his world and fatigue with some of our winter soups and stews has driven us back to some forgotten favorites and new experiments. B made Hoppin John this week and despite my mixed feelings about black eyed peas, it was durn tasty. Plus you get to say "Hoppin John" a lot around the house, bonus.

That up there is a Green Potato. This is the adult version of a favorite meal from my childhood, "Green Potatoes for Six" from Laurel's Kitchen. Introduced as "a simple recipe, most enthusiastically received by the children," it definitely lives up to this promise. Can I just interject here that like another vegetable loving gal expecting a child soon, I am spending a perhaps excessive amount of time wondering if our guy is going to be a picky eater? Right. Anyway, all to say that I loved this dish as a kid and still do. I am pretty sure that my go-to version these days has some extra ingredients, but I think you should include them.

Green Potatoes

Russet Potatoes
Bunch of broccoli
Bunch of kale
1-2 leeks
Butter
Sour Cream or Cottage Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Cheese (cheddar will do)

Bake potatoes until tender. Allow to cool slightly, slice in half longways, scoop out insides and place in a bowl.

In the meantime, sauté chopped leeks in butter for 10+ minutes. Be sure to salt and pepper them generously, you'll be adding them to a whole lot of potatoes. Add chopped kale, cook until bright green, remove from heat.

Steam whole hunks of broccoli until reaching the raw side of tender. Allow to cool slightly, then chop into pretty small bits.

Mash or rice potatoes, add a few hunks of butter, and a few generous glops of sour cream (if I use cottage cheese, which I only do if it's mouldering in my fridge from making Macaroni & Cheese, I blend it up in the food processor first - chunks of cottage cheese are not my favorite in this dish). Add leeks and kale and broccoli. Mix thoroughly, adding salt and tons of pepper as you go.

Grate cheese. Into each scooped out potato half, scatter some salt, pepper, and a small layer of cheese. Don't skip this, it's sort of the layer that flavors your thick potato skin. Then stuff with mashed potato/vegetable mix, top with a little more grated cheese. Bake at 350 while covered with foil for about 30 minutes, then remove foil to brown the cheese.

Yum.

P.S. Any Charleston folks here or folks who know Charleston? We are planning a final kiddo-free romantic getaway and would love your recommendations about food and things best not missed. Plus we always want to know where to get a good croissant.

2 comments:

Becky said...

That looks way good, thanks for posting!

dietlind said...

yum yum. gonna make me some this weekend. still laughing about the pie and sperm "fertilization" a few posts back.