Monday, February 22, 2010

Onion Needles & Hand Pies


Sweet Mary, we finally had some spring weather around here. Released from the clutches of blustery 18 degree weather, B rode the Blue Ridge Parkway on bikes and I threw a baseball (with a mitt and everything!) with a friend and everyone got sunburns and I know that if I clap hard enough and repeat "I believe in Spring" it really will happen. I was starting to wonder. I'm not sure we always earn our Spring splendor down here, but this year there is no question.


Speaking of such things, would you look at those onion starts? I am eternally charmed by the arrival of all things seed, but onions, well, all alliums I have ever planted by seed, they have a special place in my heart due to their insistence upon rising up out of the dirt like the eye of a sewing needle. I need someone to tell me why they grow like this. These photos are several days old, now they are well over an inch and a half and only a few have finally broken out into crazy ninety degree angles. They are stretching, heads to toes. My yogic onions. We are going to try a planting method with half of these called Dutch bunching or some such name, where you plant 3-5 seeds per plastic cell, and then rather than thin or separate, you just plonk the whole little plug into the ground with a correspondingly generous amount of room around it, and supposedly they just all push away from each other and grow fine. We'll see. I am a bit "really?" about it, so we're not doing them all that way.


In other exciting weekend news, B and I made blueberry handpies. We are doing some baking together, which is new, as thus far I am pretty much the baker in the house. Well, that's not totally true, B makes the bread and has been getting better and better at that (me: "I do not make things with yeast"). Anyway, it was ridiculously fun because we experimented like mad in an effort to make the perfect handpie, and durn it, I think we have a version that we are pretty happy with. This town needs more handpies, there are far too many heavily iced cupcakes for my taste.


Also, I used to like Kundera and now I am old and I had an allergic reaction to this book. I almost want to torture myself a little more and reread some of his stuff that I truly remember liking waaaaaay back in my early twenties (I hadn't read this one before), but I am not sure if I can suffer so. Also, we watched this film and it was so stinkin' good. I mean really.


Happy Monday out there. May you have a pie in hand soon.

9 comments:

erin said...

I recently had a similar Kundera experience! Funny. The Unbearable Lightness of Being was my favorite... I tried to reread it the other day (before baby comes and reading takes a backseat!) and I just could not do it! Maybe it's "pregnancy brain". :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

sk said...

Hi! I just found your blog via the Curious Bird blog, and I'm excited to read it. I used to live in Asheville (during college-- I went to WWC) and I miss it sometimes. (Not so much this time of year-- I'm a floridian).

I just got back from the Georgia Organic conference in Athens GA and one of the farms I toured had onions growing this same way! The farmers there loved it, and said that even though it doesn't produce round onions, the onions keep better and they have less trouble with center rot-- plus the rows are easier to cultivate. I would definitely like to try it. The farmer said that she read about it in a book called The New Organic Grower (I think? I haven't looked it up yet) By Eliott Coleman. I'm going to check it out.

Heather said...

Hey Erin, how funny! Glad to know that I'm not alone.

SK! I work at WWC! I love, love, love it here. Thanks for passing along the onion planting testimonials. Gosh, maybe we should do them all that way; we are hoping these will be storage onions and I don't much care what shape they come out as. We read about this in a different one of Coleman's books, I think (too many gardening books going at once). Holler if you ever come visit your old stomping grounds, we can take a stroll and talk veggies!

Heather

cake said...

this world does need more hand pies! what a great idea. i have been making mini fruit galettes, i really can't get enough of fruit pies lately.

i posted a similar photo of our leeks. they are so magical! i have never grown storage onions, just small bunching ones, spring onions, scallions. sounds like an approach worth trying though.

Heather said...

Kayte, I was your leeks and they look great. We didn't have room for those, so we'll set start again, but maybe next year another light will join the family...

sk said...

Ummm, how cool is that?!? I love it when the internet world feels small. And yes, WWC is just the greatest! I had such a fantastic time there, and have so so so many good memories from those years. I kind of wish I could go back and do it again. So, you must work in the library! I loved the light in the library. I spent many nice afternoon class breaks napping on the couches. Also, doing schoolwork, of course :)

One of my favorite people on the planet is still the recycling crew boss (and all around sustainability rock star)-- Jes! I hope you know her-- she is so much fun. I met her when I worked on the recycling crew.
Cheers! (And congratulations on your pregnancy! I am looking forward to starting a family sometime soon, too)

Holly said...

So in love with those pies! And the "ploink!" of the onion starts. Glad to have found you on Blotanical....

jenni p said...

The onions really do grow fine! Mine are evidence!

judith said...

still remember gently convincing young Jo - who had loved The Usual Suspects so much - to watch that movie with me. She was so charmed that she ran right out & made her friends watch it too...

love the pictures of busy & violin Ma...