Friday, March 5, 2010

Bagels


Wouldja look at that? My husband baked that. It is a long-fermented water boiled bagel, and it is the best bagel I've had in I don't know how long. You cannot get one of those here, all you can have is a very bready sweet sort of affair that will leave you both full and hungry an hour later. Complicated. These are trad bagels - chewy on the outside, like chewy, with insides boasting real flavor and bubble pockets perfect for cradling cream cheese from the hours it spent fermenting. I am starting to think he might be a baker when he grows up. Fine by me.


Have great weekends out there. We are spending this one with B's mom and her special friend. Much fun has been planned for.

6 comments:

cake said...

no way! he made BAGELS??!!???! wow. i am inspired. might have to try that. can you point me towards the recipe he used, or even the book it might have come from? my only bread book is all whole grains, and i would want to make these with white flour, right? but the slow ferment sounds good. wow. and beautiful to boot!

Heather said...

I *know*...the yum!

He used this recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/09/bronx-worthy-bagels/ (which has touching background on what to expect of these bagels if the eater has never had a more traditional bagel), from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Not one we own, but we might soon! B used bread flour for these (you need a really high gluten flour), but has ordered some organic hgf to see if they are appreciatively better... Let me know how it goes!!!

queenbeehoney said...

These look soooooo yummy!

Becky said...

That's so awesome. I didn't think real people made bagles, I thought they just appeared in grocery stores. I'm impressed!

jenni p said...

I want to know why Joe and I didn't get to taste these bagels!!!

dig this chick said...

REALLY? Oh man I'd do just about anything for one of those bagels right this minute. Thanks for posting the recipe! Andy's b day on Saturday...perhaps I'll give it a go. Although that could be considered self-serving...