Thursday, March 11, 2010

Postal Surprises

Sweet Mary, how did it get to be Thursday? Search me.



We had a mighty, might fine weekend with B's mom and her company. I did finally give in to the headcold that has been threatening me for the last two weeks, but to be completely honest I was just relieved that it wasn't the flu. Busy Baby Boy can handle a mama full of snot, but fevers are no good. Anyway. We talked and walked and celebrated B's mom's birthday and played some music and did some dancing and watched a film and yes: ate some food. The picture above is kind of symbolically excessive: B's bagels with farm fresh scrambled eggs, two kinds of homemade jam, some marmalade, some homemade boursin, some homemade pesto, and a plate of apples, pears, and clementines...you get the idea. Sitting around our table discussing food with folks we love is pretty much top priority when people roll through town. Anyway: at some point we got to discussing ice cream, and a certain type of Ohio ice cream came up, well, because it's completely awesome and they make some flavors that will both raise your eyebrows and leave you asking for more. They were making Salty Caramel ice cream well before it was cool, darn it. In fact, I think their ice cream might have been my first salted caramel experience, lo some many years ago now (uh, a lot of years ago now...yeesh).

Look what arrived in the mail yesterday:



It has four friends in the freezer. Did you know that you could get ice cream in the mail? I am unashamed to admit that I personally had never contemplated such a thing. B made me try to guess what came in the mail and I got so desperate as to suggest a live bunny rabbit before he gave in and told me. Small mammals come before ice cream in the postal department part of my brain, I guess. We were flabbergasted, touched, and after playing with the dry ice (do not underestimate this part), we had to try all five flavors pretty much immediately. They are all so stinkin' good that I kind of wish that I didn't know you could order it through the mail... Thanks YR, we feel spoiled rotten.

Thanks for all the Charleston suggestions! You are all a bunch of emailers as it turns out, which is lovely and dear because then I can write you back instead of hiccupy comment responding thing that I really have no hang of whatsoever. We are looking forward to grits and gullah rice and butter beans, as well as some bike riding and camellia sniffing. This time is crazy sweet, we feel so sneaky just rolling out of town for no good reason whatsoever.



In garden news, as soon as we get back we will harden off all of our early seed starts because they are HUGE (those are onion trimmings up there - ours are growing like mad and I am just whacking them off at 4-5 inches for now) and plant all of our summer booty. Exciting. Despite making an extremely unladylike noise when bending over, this girl is ready to dig in the dirt, belly and all. I am a little afraid to examine the overwintered onions and garlic - it has been so freakin' wet. Fingers crossed.

Hope you are all well out there...

1 comment:

rachel said...

I hear ya! The chives/onions are the quickest to welcome spring, aren't they? good luck with the planting!