Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Three-quarters Baked

That would be Busy. He is three-quarters baked up. We can hardly believe it - something like 10 weeks to go and then there will be another human in our house. He is not even here and he cracks us up already, like so:

B: "Maybe we should have a blueberry smoothie on the back porch while the sun is shining out there."
Busy: BIG KICK
Me: "We should probably do that."

Did you know that he can taste what I'm eating? Crazy.



Anyway. After some unfriendly 90 degree weather, we are back to a sweet spring. There have been a few threats of frost, but nothing has materialized, and we're hopeful that this year we'll get our first cherries and peaches. Also a first: rhubarb. Sweet Mary, our two plants just roared into life about four weeks ago and from round alien nubs sprang long stalks with leaves the size of a trashcan lid. They are HUGE. Kind of scary huge. Definitely "Heather, you once again planted things too close together huge." I will move them in a few years, I swear it. I find it kind of exciting to eat something that is partially poisonous, don't you? Anyway, we're only supposed to pick for two weeks this year, but even so I think we'll have plenty. We're eying a sour-cherry-rhubarb-brown-betty from this lovely book, because duh: the strawberries won't be on until late June! I intentionally got a later bearing variety because I didn't want yet another thing that we had to protect from late spring frosts, but the upshot is that our strawberry-rhubarb timing is a little off. My plan is to squirrel away some frozen strawberries so that next year we can pull those out right when the rhubarb is on. Although now that I type that I am remembering that you can also easily freeze rhubarb so this cheat can go both ways.



B has been cracking on house projects lately, including a set of shelves for the crappy little closet in Busy's room. Woo-hoo. I know I've said it before, but the man kills me in his painter clothes. How I love this guy. He's been painting in these pants for eons, and already I can look at them and find the color of our kitchen or bathroom - he's like a walking paint chip.

Anyway. All to say: life is very exciting around here. Hope yours is too.

5 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Oh oh oh, cutest photo of my little Heater eva. Love you guyz, all three of you.

Mieke said...

Hi, I'm a new reader of your blog. Just wanted to say I love it! Especially the garden stuff and cooking, yummie...

Heather said...

Hi Mieke, thanks for the visit! I will peek over in your world too...

Heather

cake said...

we had a near 90 degree day too! i want my spring!

still though, the garden is taking off!

i have been watching some rhubarb in the community garden i am helping with, and i had no idea it had those alien looking balls that un-furl into leaves! so cool. i think last year, you posted some crazy-delicious, huge crumb, rhubarb crumb cake or something? i know i made it, and it was incredible.

Heather said...

Yah, the rhubarb alien balls are pretty awesome. A tad "Little Shop of Horrors" even, especially with the poisonous leaves!

This was last year's rhubarb treat: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/02/big-crumb-coffee-cake/, with a lot of sour cherries added. If I make that again I'll not only add the cherries but double the rhubarb too, but I like more fruit than cake in general...oh yum yum...

xo

H