Monday, May 3, 2010

It's Not Tomorrow

Shit howdy, I am beginning to think that we need a baby in order to learn how to laze around and relax. B and I repeatedly promised ourselves a do-nothing weekend, and instead we got more done than I can even really remember, from backyard haircuts to cucumber trellises to helping friends move. I'd like to pass it off as pre-Busy nesting, but I know better. Anyway. Let's just say that by Sunday night we were both so tired that I know for a fact that we went to bed before the four-year-old next door.



One of the last things on the weekend agenda was getting our cukes and beans in, and I am durn glad that we did because we got a beautiful deep rain early this morning. Perfect. These are the last things that we will direct seed, unless we throw some more beets or carrots into spots here and there. Two kinds of pole beans, pickling cukes, and japanese cukes. Yum. Last year we did not put our beans in until June 14th, or so says the garden journal. WTF? I think we were waiting for the real estate vacated by the peas. Anyway, the notation for last year's planting is followed a few weeks later by a scrawled "BEANS WAY TOO LATE." Got it. Other tidbits from last year: "Cukes planted way too close together" and something snide about building ourselves a cucumber trellis. We do great with cucumbers, but for the past two summers they have definitely not been given the climbing structure of their dreams, which meant that they beat up on each other and also that sometimes you'd think you'd just picked all the cucumbers and then you'd blink and there'd be 40 more that actually would have preferred to have been picked about a week ago. Until now! B is in charge of structural garden projects, and lemme just tell you that we now have some extremely awesome *reusable* pea and cucumber trellises, just plonk them in and plant your seeds. He also built a much smarter bean setup situation; last year our tripods were annoying as hell. Anyway. We'll put in our tomato, basil, squash, tomatillo, and eggplant starts this weekend, then pepper starts the next, and then: DONE. Everything in, just weed it, feed it, water it, eat it. Sometimes I wonder if we'll run out of the oomph to do this every year. On the other hand, I know that we do projects every year that are supposed to make the next year less work (for example this is the first season since we moved in that we have not dug out new beds). Also, I will probably not be pregnant every spring, which I am sure has contributed generously to the complicated calculation regarding how much durn work it is to put in and keep up with a not-even-huge fruit and veggie garden.

But speaking of huge:



Yo, the rhubarb is still frightening the small children. We are having Brown Betty again tonight, and then I'm gonna pick enough to freeze for a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and then we'll let it go nuts for the summer. Attention neighbors: do not let your pets roam unsupervised near the rhubarb.

Also, I started a new book. So far I like it a lot, although the whole first section will definitely not cheer you up. Also, because I still suffer extreme moments of Buffy withdrawal, we are going here. The morality of this world is very interesting and satisfyingly ambiguous, but so far I think the acting is very, very bad. We're definitely in at this point, although let me just use this bully pulpit to say that two episodes per disc is very, very stingy. So there.

Also, I am still spending some quality time with the fiddle. It is the most comfortable instrument for me to play at this point - try playing a guitar sitting a foot away from your gut and you'll get an idea of the potential back pain involved (although I still do it). D tunes have been harder going than A tunes, but I am a determined pain in the ass and I practice.





Also, I need a new bra. I have not bought a bra in about 8 years, and I am in denial about it so I wear my old bras and they are so uncomfortable that I frequently tear them off in a mad fit right in the middle of my office. It's been at the bottom of my to-do list for months now. I need my BFF to come hold my hand - she has real assets, as we call them, and knows how these things are supposed to work. Until then, I will complain and deal with people staring at my nipples. Rad.

8 comments:

Becky said...

I truly am scared of that rhubarb!

cake said...

that rhubarb is the stuff legends are made of! wow!

i know all about the bra issue, and i recommend going to one of those places that does proper bra fittings. seriously.

in houston there was a place called 'woman's work' (a name i always found to be slightly offensive, though the store was awesome) that sold nursing bras, maternity wear, and tons of baby stuff. i got a bra fitting there, and the woman who helped me really knew what she was doing. i ended up with a more comfortable bra, for the last bit of my pregnancy, and it was also a nursing bra! is there any place like that where you live? they may do bra fittings. worth looking into.

i sure do love reading about your garden, and seeing all the pictures. we are just now in the clear in terms of frost, and i am scurrying around like a chicken-let's-just'leave-it-at-that.

Anna Allen said...

hahaha! oh man, you crack me up. and my goodness...that garden sounds delicious!!

lotta said...

I love the photos of you playing the fiddle! Bra or not you look great and it seems like you are having fun. You guys are so organized with your garden - it makes me a little stressed out. We are putting in peppers and tomatoes too this weekend, but I am still rather clueless. Maybe I need a garden journal?

Heather said...

Well, Miss, as the maker of some of the loveliest journals I have ever seen, you have no excuse! ; )

It is very dorky, I know, but it really helps us with the inevitable annual deliberations that arise. We also keep track of how much of stuff we planted and then whether that seemed like too much or not enough, also helpful. Sometimes we just curse the weather in it, probably not as helpful...

ben said...

That garden looks pretty good. Have you ever tried putting pantyhose on your eggplants? :)

Heather said...

You are the funniest man I know, Benjamin.

judith said...

i got pretty freaked out at the boobage & went running out & bought a bra when i was pregnant cause there was this period of tenderness....

but the discomfort passed & i never used it again, cause after birth & during nursing, it was too big & i went back to none most of the time. sounds like it varies...