Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thin It

Hoo-boy. I did some reading about peach trees yesterday, and was informed in no uncertain terms that we needed to thin about 90% of the fruit on our little go getter. Yah, that is nine-zero percent. After it shocked my pants off, I could really see why - the tree is still quite petite but damn if each branch isn't just COVERED with baby peaches. I mean covered. If left alone we would not only get small hard peaches but I bet just about every branch would snap off by the time August rolled around. B and I took a look last night and did some preliminary thinning before realizing that it will likely take us a significant chunk of time to do the whole tree, and since we were having a date night we abandoned the tree to far less traumatic activities. Because seriously, tearing off these little fuzzy baby peaches is really hard. Hell, I already suck at thinning far less charming things - just look at these little guys. Soft as a rabbit's foot.




We will do it though, in the name of big fat juicy peaches, we will.

4 comments:

Anna Allen said...

wow, i had no idea! i need to take a look at our peach tree. but it makes sense. in the past our fruit has been pretty hard and small.

Heather said...

Word is six inches between peaches, and there should only be peaches on one side of the branch, never a pair. Depending upon the size of your tree, it's some work! Folks wrote about beating their trees with rubber hoses and baseball bats! Not exactly my style, but then maybe if I had a whole peach orchard I would reconsider. Here's hoping we both get juicy fruit this year!

queenbeehoney said...

I can just see you moaning over little things that are soft as a rabbit's foot. However, since bunnies have morphed from the pages of bedtime stories to trashing your garden, you can perhaps manage the job by imagining that you're killing little bunnies.

Window On The Prairie said...

I feel your pain. I have a hard time thinning lettuce!