Tuesday, June 22, 2010

No Busy Yet


Hi Intertubes. We are still a family of two over here. Today is Busy's official due date, but so far it's been a day like any other. I told him this morning that his mama is a librarian: she does not trend toward the Overdue. Ah well. Our checkup yesterday was tip-tip - we have three centimeters for free, things are quite effaced in there, and she thinks my kitchen floor scrubbing put this guy in the right spot. We have the coolest midwives, I tell you, it's a really pleasure to visit them and get the pep talk.


Yesterday was our second wedding anniversary, can you believe that? We read our vows to each other again, and so many of them were even more powerful when passed over the top of this little guy nestled between us. We are so lucky. I said to B at one point, "I didn't even really realize how awesome you were when I married you." Does that make sense? Like I was completely, madly, totally in love with him, but being married to him turned out to be so much more profound than I could have ever anticipated. Somewhere in my vows I said "I can’t tell you how many times I have stopped and thought to myself, 'This is my life,'" and that remains truer and truer as time passes. This here right now is so absorbing and meaningful and funny and right and romantic and sparkly and yes, sometimes hard, but we are both just Right Here. In the pocket, as they say when the rhythm instruments are rocking the tune. Ain't no other place I'd rather be than right here with this guy.


Righty-o. In fermentation news: kefir. My gal pal delivered some kefir grains to us last week, and since then we have been brewing up magical kefirs of strawberry, black raspberry, peach, and blueberry (yes, we are clearing the freezer of last summer's fruit). It is so stinkin' easy. You slop some milk in the jar with the grains, leave it on the counter, and strain it anywhere from 12-24 hours later, depending upon how hot it is in your kitchen and how sour and spritzy you like your kefir. Take grains in strainer, put back in original jar, repeat. It's yummy plain, but we are loving it with fruit but not too sweet. When we made up our first batch I looked at B and said "Should we be allowed to have this?" Like, having it on tap is a little dangerous.


I am still working it in the garden, much to the consternation of some - a lady from down the street pulled up this weekend and said "What are you still doing here?" I did not really know what to say to that so I did not say much. Last week was all about renovating the strawberry bed. Basically you whack back the plants to practically nothing, rake out the mulch, fertilize and spread compost, re-mulch with fresh pine needles, and water. Lots of bending and squatting, and I know that's where I am getting these free centimeters from. The plants look a little molested, but supposedly this is the secret to many more years of gallons of berries. Plus we really needed to thin in there, and there wasn't any way to see what the hell was going on when they were all leafy.


Other than that, just pruning, bug squishing, reseeding, and eating. We sliced into our first cucumber just this morning, yum. Lots of cool cabbage slaws with homegrown carrots and cilantro and such. The squash plot is absolutely insane. We did a much better job this year of hardening off our starts, and the squash in particular are expressing their gratitude with what is officially a crazy number of baby squash. They are awfully cute out there.

Anyhoo. Send vibes for the real awfully cute to get here soon.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Congrats...and the waiting game begins. :)

I have the same cucumber plant, little pickling cukes? And what tomatoes are those?

cake said...

geez. i thought for sure you were busy with a busy boy!

i am freaking out about squash diseases over here (both real and imagined) but don't mind me.

your garden sounds so lovely, as does the kefir. need to get ahold of some grains.

thanks for posting. the suspense was killing me.

cake said...

btw, this strawberry post has saved my neighbor's patch, and i think we will heed the advise for the strawberries we have in the community food-pantry garden i work in, too. we were about to pull them all out and start over, but this might work for us. THANKS!