Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pinch It



Ok, I have been informed by several people that by not posting on Monday they were sure that Busy must have arrived. Sorry to disappoint - he's still planning his entrance. We're doing great, all of us. I will confess that I am hotter than I have ever been before in my entire life, and this girl has seen both the Central Valley of California in summer as well as a few blisteringly hot months in South America. Seriously, it's like I might burst into flames at any moment. B laughs at me because I literally start shedding clothing from my body between the car and the front door. Nudity is my friend in this battle. I am busting out all the tricks: wet towels, lots of ice, cool showers, refuge under the ceiling fan. Turns out a large wet towel can work miracles, don't laugh. Anyway, when we first got pregnant I swear that every other woman who asked about my due date told me that June was a great time to have a kid, and I thought they were being polite. I get it now, I do, and they are right. Anyway, other than roasting, all is well. Busy needs to do a little shifting in there to help his mama avoid back labor, so my midwife has ordered me to clean the floors on my hands and knees. Right.

So that basil up there. It took us one summer of bolt-y overly strong basil to learn to pinch. I suppose if you live somewhere with super mild slow springs, you might not have to contend with this, but here, when 90 degree weather hits in May and June, you must pinch. And even if bolting is not an issue for you, pinching will give you big bushy plants that are sturdy and full. Basically, you pinch the two leaves at growing tip off (EARLY - like not the first true leaves of the plant, but also not long after those), the plant responds by sending up two shoots where there was once just one, then in a little while you pinch the growing tips off of those two shoots, and the plant responds by sending up four shoots where there were once just two. You get the idea. We really have to keep up with this, and at the beginning you end up with awkward amounts of basil (although soon enough you end up with enough to start packing away pesto for the winter). In these earlier days we throw it in salads, stick it in grilled cheeses, put it in bun or spring rolls, etc. But we just finally got around to making the Thai Chicken with Basil from the January Cook's Illustrated, and it will both use up your basil pinchings and make your day. It's awesome, although I'm warning you that you put raw chicken in the food processor, which is definitely a little gross. Hang in there, it's worth it.

I was about to type up the recipe, but looky, here it is. Go forth and pinch happily.

5 comments:

cake said...

i am guessing that you guys don't have air conditioning. i remember the summer i lived in asheville, i was told that since the summers are so mild, no one really has air conditioning. i don't recall the summer being mild at all.

not that i really think AC is the right thing to do, or have, but sometimes, when you feel like you are going crazy from heat and sweat, it is nice to have the option of closing up the house and cranking up the AC, for just an hour or so...
i bet right now is one of those times for you.
what about a favorite swimming hole?

TulsiLeaf said...

When I was pregnant with my daughter, it was the hottest summer in years (haha I laugh at that now.). She was due Aug 4th and towards the end of July we had temps in the mid 90's and the humidity was around 80%. Ohhh, did I mention i live in Florida. I would walk outside start sweating and get contractions. I thought all was well after I had her.
Then i sweated for 6 weeks because of the hormones from breastfeeding.

I totally get you. hang in there.

Heather said...

Sigh. Yah, no AC, not in the car or at home. And our favorite swimming holes are down super steep hills and dales that this pregnant lady would probably just roll down. I am rocking the moist towels though and we've had a few good storms blow through to cool things off in the late afternoon. YAY.

You August Mamas deserve a prize!!!!!!

dig this chick said...

eeeeeeeeeee so close. Perhaps it's happening now since for some reason, as I was sewing in my studio, I stopped to come and check your blog...

Being pregnant and hot totally sucks. It was over 100 for an entire month the year Margot was born. She wasn't here until December, but still. I was SO FUCKING HOT. I would come home from work, fill up the kid pool we had for our dog and lay a la walrus on the beach for hours.

Anyway, soon, you'll be cool with a busy boy in your arms. Oh, Heather. Much love.

Heather said...

Hey Sweet Nici. No baby yet. Trying sooooooooo hard to be patient, jeepers it's hard! We got a new fan though, woohoo! Thanks for checking on me, keep sending those labor vibes my way...