Sunday, August 1, 2010

Monday



This was Osh's face when I told him that I had to go to work this morning. Yup, you heard me: work. I am not going to lie and say that I skipped out the door, but as I pulled out of the driveway I was swamped by a deep appreciation for the fact that I wasn't leaving my baby with a stranger. Or a stranger with twelve other kids to care for. I realize that lots and lots of amazing people provide childcare to folks who need it and that those people quickly cease to be strangers. But on this cloudy Monday morning I am so glad that he is at home with his Papa. Who I have already emailed and talked to on the phone about eleven times and I've not even had lunch yet. So far we are all peachy. I wouldn't say that I missed my job, but it feels good to be back. I saw one of my favorite people right when I got out of my car, and I took it to be a good omen. Plus, it sure is lovely out here and these few remaining weeks without the insanity of students is time that flies quickly.



This is a leek-tomato-gruyere galette. Someday I will own the camera that makes my food look as good as it tastes, but until then just take my word for it: this thing rocked. Just roll out your favorite savory crust, cook some leeks in some butter with salt and pepper, grate some gruyere, and slice some heirlooms. Bake it, hang on to that hat.

B and I had another weekend of Busy with Busy. We picked another six gallons of blueberries, made peach sauce, made strawberry sauce, made a huge batch of amazing tomato sauce from all the mountains of tomatoes in our garden. Goodies for colder months. Osh hangs in his new little seat, either taking in every little detail or fast asleep. We got such an awesome baby, I mean it. During the day this is pretty much how we go: eat, hang out for a while smiling and laughing and wiggling and cooing, get a little fussy for a second, take a nap. Repeat. Repeat. Sometimes repeat again. Go to bed. Eat a few times, maybe, make it until five in the morning, turn into a gremlin for two hours. Begin again. Gremlin? Yup. Gremlin time is when he's kind of asleep, but kind of awake. He's noisy. Like snorty kind of noisy. It's hilarious, but really, really hard to sleep with. And he is awake enough to need some comforting. We take turns, it's not so bad. The hard part is remembering to take a nap when he naps. There's so much at our house to do! It will be easier when fall comes. I am looking forward to snuggly snoozing in cooler weather, yes I am.

6 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

I do love this pic. Jabba the Hutt, as you remarked elsewhere. I credit Jabba with the beginning of making it cool to look like you eat nothing but high fructose corn syrup.

"Bring me Solo and the Wookiee. They will all suffer for this outrage."

plus, i am working on a big big poop

cake said...

i am going to make that galette! thank you!

i know it must be hard to be away from that little guy, but so awesome that B is home with him!

dig this chick said...

You are amazing. I am so happy you are parents.

Janae Monir said...

I found your site some time back, and then clicked on today to find a precious little baby face staring back at me! Congratulations on your bundle of joy!

cake said...

good lord! i made the galette and it rocked my world. add that one to the cook book you guys will be publishing in a few years. i added a bit of white wine to the leeks, and some cream, cuz i had it. next time, i will put more tomatoes on top. you want some in every bite. i also went a bit heavy on the guyere, which i did not regret.

thanks!

Heather said...

Kayte, I am so happy that you loved it. Everyone should get some! Gruyere is my weakness at the cheese counter. It's a million dollars but it *tastes* like a million dollars, so....

And thanks, Janae!