Monday, February 14, 2011

Slippy Willie



Happy Monday out there. Busy weekend, wherein the boy reminded us that, really? It's not that fun to keep him up past his bedtime. Got it.

So I sucked it up a few days ago and ordered onion slips. We are heading into the months when I think we will finally really miss our old house, which is to say: our garden. This time last year we were starting flats of seeds, including about six dozen onions that went on to grow like champs (they were a short day long storage type that I cannot find as a slip, grr). I had just about talked B into believing that we should go get all of our seed starting lights and whatnot from the old house but then he actually thought about it and told me I was crazy. Right. Onion slips it is. We have a community garden plot here that is about a fifth of the size of our old garden. Since it's unlikely that we'll be down there seven times a day we've decided to grow three things that do well for us without a lot of attention: onions, butternuts, and basil. We meant to do garlic too but the move slowed us down and then winter decided to go for it so that was that. We're going to try trellising our butternuts this year. I will miss the seed starting the most, I think. My own private call to religion seems to surface every year when those seeds pop up. Like yeah, it's science, but it's mysterious in a way that makes me feel crazy joyful. Also, it usually makes me hop around.

Right then, Willie, where have you been all of my life? I completely skipped Willie. Ben nearly ate his tongue when I told him this and now we're on a real bender. This album is so stinkin' good, and any Emmylou Harris fan should go here immediately. I do love me some Emmylou.



The kid is so badass these days. He is belly crawling all over the place and nothing makes him light up brighter than when you get down on the floor with him and hide around a corner. Seeing those big blues slowly peer around a door frame is so happy making. Tooth number three is in attendance, and number four is right on its heels - kid is gonna have a snaggly gap tooth smile in no time. Also, we played music at a party this weekend (for a 100 year old gal no less!) and the squish just sat right beside us waiving his arms wildly and collecting admirers. I was so proud of him.

My bff gave me this brooch for my birthday, a Cathy Cullis piece. I love her, and by that I mean all the hers aforementioned: my bff, Cathy, and the woman in the brooch.



Happy Monday, and Happy Valentine's Day out there.

8 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Love the opening photo.

John, "Bluettes are on sale."
"What?"
"Bluettes."
"What?"
"Bluettes."

Help me Obie-wan.

Love that little stripey butt.

cake said...

i am excited to see how your community gardening goes. i bet it will be better than you imagine. wonderful things can happen when you garden right next to other people who love gardening enough to have a plot away from their house.

that baby! wow. so cute.

Heather said...

Well lady, if I met the likes of you I would be pretty darn happy about it!

I like your weather post - I am a four season gal myself. I have loved all the snow this winter!!

xo

Heather

judith said...

oh the Redheaded Stranger - been with me since the year it came out - it's why i've been with him for so long . DeLighted you are sitting on that riverbank...

have you posted the Figgy buckwheat tea cakes recipe or is that the boy's famly secret ;->

Love you, girlie. Glad all sounds & looks & smells so good...

nicirae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dig this chick said...

My own private call to religion seems to surface every year when those seeds pop up. Like yeah, it's science, but it's mysterious in a way that makes me feel crazy joyful.

amen.

Love the way you talk about your 'squish.'

x

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

What?! No garlic? With what I have in the raised beds and around my tulips to protect the bulbs from squirrels, I'm going to end up with 85 cloves of seven different varieties--which is waaay too much garlic for the two of us. If the crop turns out (last year it failed miserably), I'll send you some.

P.S. I'm a couple of chapters into Goon Squad. So far, light and airy and completely forgettable.

Heather said...

What an offer! I will send grow-big vibes to those garlic, post haste.

You know, I didn't even finish Goon Squad. Let me know if you do, and if I missed anything!