Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nine Months


Nine months ago-ish.

Oscar Stewart Harvey is nine months old today. This feels so significant to me - as he has grown these many months it repeatedly boggled my mind to know that he'd been a part of me longer than not. Now he's a boy of the world. And my how he's grown. The latest tricks include pulling himself to standing on anything that will sit still and going from crawling to sitting. It is a complete shock to come around a corner and find him standing in front of the washing machine or some such. We call him The Inspector - he's so curious and so determined and pretty much pats everything down to check it out. He's also started snuggling, which I love love love. Busy turned out to be a pretty telling nickname for this little guy.






Oscar saying, "When I came out I was this big!" No kidding, Mister Ten Pounder...

It's been hard not to worry lately. My friend's illness, Japan, work stress, a baby whose fifth tooth seemed to finally knock our brave teether for a loop, etc. The spring has also, unsurprisingly, brought about quite a wave of longing for our garden. Last week we planted onions in our community garden plot, a seriously over-cover-cropped plot of fairly compacted soil, and the first ten minutes of spading found me almost angry at this poor little bed for not being in the state that we left our own garden. Argh. So I dug around rudely for a while until things sorted themselves out. I think I was partially angry because I recognize that right now I/we don't have the time or energy to recreate what we did yet a part of my mental upkeep has always involved spending a lot of time in the dirt. We're still cooking on the guerrilla garden down the hill though, so there's hope.

All for now but more later. Be well out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a beautiful mama - it makes me tear up and I can't wait to experience a similar path than you have. Love you loads. P.

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

Gosh, you were truly "all baby" 9 months ago. Not an ounce of fat on you. That said, Osh still looks better out than in. What a cutie. I love watching how his expressions change as he grows. I'm sorry you despair your fertile soil and veggies this season, especially if digging in the dirt is your mental cleansing, but the kid is way better. Trust the woman who only has dirt.

queenbeehoney said...

Sooooooo big!

xoxoxoxo