Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Break

The Wednesday before spring break is feeling very much like itself. We're tired around here. After weeks of speedy belly crawling Oscar has gotten his knees under him and what they say in parenting books about motor skills and sleep is true. I remind myself from whence we came, but there have been some mornings around here when everything in my body aches for more sleep as I walk up the steps to work. B's head hit the pillow at 7:53 this evening; keeping up with the squish during the day when said squish has been up at night is no joke. It is a joy to watch Oscar move in new ways though, no doubt.


Some extremely lousy news on the health front for a coworker has left me sad and uncertain. I don't have a lot of experience with death or dying or illness. I am 34 years old and can say that there has only been one death in my world of loved ones. I see that I am fortunate to be able to say that I am still surprised by tragedy, yet I think it is this same circumstance that causes me, upon orbiting into loss, to look wildly to my husband and child and family and realize with panic that such a thing could call on any one of us.



Stay well out there.

4 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Oh that smiling face and those crystal clear bright eyes! Wish I could hug the little man right now.

Hope your co-worker hangs in there, I know she has been through a lot already.

So hard to acknowledge that life is all held together with bailing wire and twine. We just have to be big enough and loving enough to hold whatever comes. "Life is suffering Princess, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something."

Anonymous said...

I can feel your aching heart. Through my profession I am naturally surrounding by death - even though always accompanied by so much sadness I have come to think that it is what makes living so sweet and intense. Knowing that there is no "forever" pushes one to make the most of now. Love you, P.

queenbeehoney said...

Also, since you are on break this coming week, your fans will be expecting posts every day with very cute pics of you-know-who crawling around and tearing things up.

cake said...

there is nothing like having a kid to make illness, death and dying unbearable things to fathom.

those photos, in front of the cabinet, bring back sweet memories for me, from about 5 years ago.
adorable.
hold tight, while you find the strength to let go.