Friday, April 22, 2011

Sway

Well then, in the regaining balance department:


Yes, I always garden in those shoes...

On Wednesday a friend (Hi Sloan!) hooked us up with the perfect place to buy garden starts. I'll admit that this was part of my gardening funk. I hate buying starts. Planting seeds is not only my favorite thing to do, but we went from growing mealy tomatoes and puny peppers to bounty in both departments just by starting our own and treating them right in their infancy. You just don't know whether that gorgeous pepper plant in the store has been tortured by chilly temperatures at night for weeks! But you'll know in three months when your peppers suck. ANYWAY. When I called this place and the guy talked to me for 15 minutes about a particular kind of Italian Chard he grows, I knew we had a winner. So starts were bought, starts were planted.


I love that you can see B in the background of this one.

This chunk of garden is new and very near our house. We put a bug in the ear of one of our neighbors, and since she's the landscape gal she basically just sent a student over with a tractor and a tiller thingamummy and wham - garden. I was honestly a little speechless when I saw it. Like, oh, this must be how farmers get shit done. Well some farmers anyway. Fine by me, as neither of us had any intention of cutting in a new garden anytime soon. Soil is a little sandy but I was worried that it was going to be red clay so I'm relieved.


Check out that awesome dirt goatee.

The kid was in heaven. He ate dirt and tried to chase a cat and roughed up a few lettuce plants. Good times.


Hope the weekends are swell out there. We're in for more summer masquerading as spring, which is to say some hot. Yo spring! Don't rush it ok?

8 comments:

ben said...

Gardener babs, gardener babs.... :)

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

Hooray! Your fingers in the dirt! And three cheers for the neighbor sending someone over with a tillermajiggy.

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

I had to stop back by to express my complete and utter amazement that Goon Squad won the Pulitzer for fiction, as you're the only other person I've found who (will admit they) didn't like it.

Heather said...

I AM SO WITH YOU!!!!! I nearly fainted.

queenbeehoney said...

I am so amazed that little man will keep those hats on his head! He must know how stylin' he looks. I remember when Ben and Eric used to wear those hats ~ super cute on little boys!

Heather said...

Ha, that IS one of Ben and Eric's old hats! Benner and the Gran dug it up at Christmas and sent it down. Cuter than a bug's ear.

Can't wait to see you!

Heater

Jenni said...

Really happy for you, Heather! Sounds like you're doing allllll the right things.

dietlind said...

finally got the baby early birthday box in the mail...and just checked to see this wonderful post. i love these pictures--you guys all look so happy and cute! makes me all the more determined to get my butt down to nc sometime soon. much love and big hugs to all three.