Wednesday, June 22, 2011

This Time Last Year

June 22nd was Oscar's due date. Back then he was still being called 'Busy' because he was such a fireball in there. That morning I posted this, and then a few hours later we started having a baby. I don't think I ever said much here about how this guy arrived. A year later it is a collection of crystal clear moments that start with me telling B that I couldn't get comfortable lying down and end with me holding Oscar and B in a tangled embrace while throwing up my one free arm and shouting "woo hoo!" to the entire room. Oscar was a natural birth, fast and hard, something like nine hours total and three of those were spent pushing. As it turns out pushing a ten pound baby out is not easy, frankly it was extremely hard and here is some very funny proof. Our midwife was amazing, B was unflappable and adoring and just the right amount of encouraging, and I mostly felt strong and ready and if not relaxed then very, very calm.

I know his birthday is officially tomorrow, but in as much as his birthdays will always be a time when I remember what it was like to birth him, today is my birth day. I love you baby boy, and I love you B.

River Boy One

River Boy Two

River Boy Three

3 comments:

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

Happy Birthday, mommy and Oscar!

leya said...

Happiest of Birthdays to your sweet 1 year-old boy!! All one needs to do is quickly glance at this here blog to know that you've got yourself an amazing boy, and he's got himself a couple of very nifty 'rents. I so look forward to confirming all of this in a few months. xoxo

queenbeehoney said...

I still remember your phone call as I was driving through the mountains of WV and NC, saying that everything was fine and Oscar had arrived. Such a feeling of relief. It is one future worry you will never have with that sweet baby boy.